Possible Brook in Occ Clown

Chachodog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey every one I have a female occ clown that I believe has Brook. I didnt take any photos but ill try to describe what i saw.

Last night she had rapid breathing, what appeared to be white flakes under her bellyside (looked like flaking skin) and 2 really small spots. One on her side which looked like a bump under her skin and the other above her mouth witch glowed under blue light. She was absolutely fine the day before from what I could tell her.

Recent params from memory
Ammonia-API .25 (never seen below .25)
Nitirite- 0
Nitrate-15-20ish
phosphate-.08
salinity- 1.026

Only thing different was i added small amount of activated carbon and Purigen both in separate media bags the day before i saw this.

Last night bound seachem metro with focus and mysis to see if it would help/provide relief and she ate that. Her behavoir was normal other than the breathing. She has always pigged out on eating is very active. I ordered Ruby Reef Rally Pro next day air and some formalin last night so i could I treat right away if needed. The thing is though, this morning only 5 hours later after metro she is totally fine. No bumps, flakes, and her breathing is normal. (thankfuly, because i heard it can kill fast) But i am almost certain the symptoms she showed was brook. I noticed she had always breathed slightly faster than the male but after the metro her pacing seems to match his now.

Can brook symptoms surface then go back down? Experienced keepers, would you go ahead and treat both clowns for it asap? They are the only fish in the tank and have been in there for around 1 month doing absolutely wonderful until the episode last night. Reef Rally should be in tomorrow. Formalin is a week out. Couldnt find any place to overnight it and I have no LFS within reasonable range.

My wife gets annoyed and says they are just fish, they die. But no matter what pet i keep. I feel they are my responosibility to give the utmost treatmeant and care I can possibly provide. Id rather spend x amoutn of dollars keeping my 1 fish happy and healthy than to spend that to buy more.

Thank you all for your help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey every one I have a female occ clown that I believe has Brook. I didnt take any photos but ill try to describe what i saw.

Last night she had rapid breathing, what appeared to be white flakes under her bellyside (looked like flaking skin) and 2 really small spots. One on her side which looked like a bump under her skin and the other above her mouth witch glowed under blue light. She was absolutely fine the day before from what I could tell her.

Recent params from memory
Ammonia-API .25 (never seen below .25)
Nitirite- 0
Nitrate-15-20ish
phosphate-.08
salinity- 1.026

Only thing different was i added small amount of activated carbon and Purigen both in separate media bags the day before i saw this.

Last night bound seachem metro with focus and mysis to see if it would help/provide relief and she ate that. Her behavoir was normal other than the breathing. She has always pigged out on eating is very active. I ordered Ruby Reef Rally Pro next day air and some formalin last night so i could I treat right away if needed. The thing is though, this morning only 5 hours later after metro she is totally fine. No bumps, flakes, and her breathing is normal. (thankfuly, because i heard it can kill fast) But i am almost certain the symptoms she showed was brook. I noticed she had always breathed slightly faster than the male but after the metro her pacing seems to match his now.

Can brook symptoms surface then go back down? Experienced keepers, would you go ahead and treat both clowns for it asap? They are the only fish in the tank and have been in there for around 1 month doing absolutely wonderful until the episode last night. Reef Rally should be in tomorrow. Formalin is a week out. Couldnt find any place to overnight it and I have no LFS within reasonable range.

My wife gets annoyed and says they are just fish, they die. But no matter what pet i keep. I feel they are my responosibility to give the utmost treatmeant and care I can possibly provide. Id rather spend x amoutn of dollars keeping my 1 fish happy and healthy than to spend that to buy more.

Thank you all for your help
You’re likely getting false readings and for brook, the amount of mucus around face and gills suggest brooklynella as well as loss of appetite, heavy breathing, Lethargic behavior
A 5 minute freshwater dip will offer temporary relief and treatment will be formalin based such as quick cure starting with a 45 min formalin bath or ruby rally pro which takes a little longer but also effective

OP
OP
C

Chachodog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Sounds Like i need to treat asap then. Ill get a HT setup and a DIp tank. Thank you for your help! If she shows signs of heavy breathing again an the mucus build up ill do a FW dip to help her until the meds show up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back