Possible Brook in Porcupine Puffer -- Urgent help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are at full hypo salinity now. He is swimming around and seems curious, but maybe still not seeing well -- although his eyes have improved quite a bit. The white patches look better, as do his fins and general body. Still can't get him to eat...he did take a peck at fresh clam on the half shell this evening but then nothing else. Doesn't matter if I leave it on the bottom of the tank, drifting in the water, or hold it in front of him. Wondering if I should try to tube feed him or if that would cause more harm. I was told he was eating brine shrimp at the store.

How long has he been without food? Tube feeding is tricky. Here is an article I posted about it:

Jay

OP
OP
yodeling_toast

yodeling_toast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least a week, probably longer. BUT

I GOT HIM TO EAT TONIGHT!!!!

It involved cracking open a fresh live clam, shredding it, and gently chasing him around with tweezers and inserting the bits in his mouth...but then he slurped it down!! And kept it down! Ate an entire (small) clam. I am thrilled. If I have to hand feed him for him to recover...I will gladly do so.

His skin and fins look so much better, as do his eyes but with some film still.

Pics soon, my computer isn't sensing my phone at the moment.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least a week, probably longer. BUT

I GOT HIM TO EAT TONIGHT!!!!

It involved cracking open a fresh live clam, shredding it, and gently chasing him around with tweezers and inserting the bits in his mouth...but then he slurped it down!! And kept it down! Ate an entire (small) clam. I am thrilled. If I have to hand feed him for him to recover...I will gladly do so.

His skin and fins look so much better, as do his eyes but with some film still.

Pics soon, my computer isn't sensing my phone at the moment.
Lilly Singh Yes GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

Good job!!!!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The puffer's skin is arguably back to normal at this point but he is refusing to eat again. Not sure what to do. Still in hypo salinity and no antibiotics.
No other symptoms?
When / what did it eat last?

Jay

OP
OP
yodeling_toast

yodeling_toast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other symptoms?
When / what did it eat last?

Jay
It ate an entire fresh/live clam (a small one). Last ate about 5-6 days ago at this point.

Pic yesterday:
tempImageSDuxB3.jpg

As you can see, skin/eyes/fins much improved. He has a few PVC tubes in the tank for security. I'm wondering if the hypo/treatment has stressed him so much that his appetite disappeared again? Been doing daily small water changes to clear the last of the General Cure from the water.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SO GOOD - how he looks. have you checked the parameters of your water? could that be an issue. He looks good - I dont know how big of a clam he ate lol:). - but I'm not sure, for example, he could eat a whole clam every 12 hours

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ate an entire fresh/live clam (a small one). Last ate about 5-6 days ago at this point.

Pic yesterday:
tempImageSDuxB3.jpg

As you can see, skin/eyes/fins much improved. He has a few PVC tubes in the tank for security. I'm wondering if the hypo/treatment has stressed him so much that his appetite disappeared again? Been doing daily small water changes to clear the last of the General Cure from the water.
Hypo doesn’t bother porcupines, GC should be ok as well. Is the water testing out fine?
Jay

OP
OP
yodeling_toast

yodeling_toast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo doesn’t bother porcupines, GC should be ok as well. Is the water testing out fine?
Jay
Thanks, Jay!
Ammonia is 0, nitrate about 5. I keep on it with water changes, vacuuming and Prime.

This evening he turned his nose down at fresh oyster...
But then began DEVOURING thawed fresh shrimp!!!

Really cute little bugger. He/she has learned to swim up to my tweezers now. Fingers crossed recovery continues from here!! Considering E.T. as a name instead of Rocky, to be honest.

A still from a video, taking the morsel from me:
8FEA1E4E-7493-49E6-8E1C-903FE1981AC8_1_201_a.jpeg

OP
OP
yodeling_toast

yodeling_toast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little one was upgraded today out of her depressing 5g fish ICU tank to a 40long my LFS owner friend gave me, with a seasoned filter. She eats voraciously and really perks up at human interaction. Her rehabilitation with me will continue until her new home is ready for her in about a month or two -- a 400g display tank in aforementioned friend's store. Thank you everyone for your help with this case! I was not at all confident that she would pull through, but I'm glad I took a chance on her and that the Petco manager risked letting me take her home for free in the first place.

IMG_2597.jpeg

tempImagepNZugz.jpg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little one was upgraded today out of her depressing 5g fish ICU tank to a 40long my LFS owner friend gave me, with a seasoned filter. She eats voraciously and really perks up at human interaction. Her rehabilitation with me will continue until her new home is ready for her in about a month or two -- a 400g display tank in aforementioned friend's store. Thank you everyone for your help with this case! I was not at all confident that she would pull through, but I'm glad I took a chance on her and that the Petco manager risked letting me take her home for free in the first place.

IMG_2597.jpeg

tempImagepNZugz.jpg
This is the best thing I have seen today! Thanks for the update. What an awesome outcome! She looks amazing!!!!

OP
OP
yodeling_toast

yodeling_toast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best thing I have seen today! Thanks for the update. What an awesome outcome! She looks amazing!!!!
Thank you! I am so thrilled. It's so hard to help them when they are super sick and I've lost plenty in the past.

Here is a before and after comparison shot I just popped together (don't mind the micro bubbles on the glass in the second pic):

IMG_2600.JPG

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am so thrilled. It's so hard to help them when they are super sick and I've lost plenty in the past.

Here is a before and after comparison shot I just popped together (don't mind the micro bubbles on the glass in the second pic):

IMG_2600.JPG
I just love that fish! I wish they had a nano version. ;Happy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2597.jpeg

tempImagepNZugz.jpg

I hate to be a "downer" here - but that tank doesn't look too secure on those bricks. I prefer to support the entire bottom rim of a tank (like on a sheet of plywood) and then "float" everything on a pad of Styrofoam to take up any issues about it not being level. The floor of the room looks like wood? If it settles, the bottom glass could torque and crack. That said, it obviously hasn't broken on "first fill" .... but I'd put a level on it side to side and corner to corner just to check it.

I'd say that another set of bricks in the center, and then 1/2" plywood the same size as the bottom of the tank over all bricks and then a sheet of Styrofoam would be safer.

Jay

OP
OP
yodeling_toast

yodeling_toast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be a "downer" here - but that tank doesn't look too secure on those bricks. I prefer to support the entire bottom rim of a tank (like on a sheet of plywood) and then "float" everything on a pad of Styrofoam to take up any issues about it not being level. The floor of the room looks like wood? If it settles, the bottom glass could torque and crack. That said, it obviously hasn't broken on "first fill" .... but I'd put a level on it side to side and corner to corner just to check it.

I'd say that another set of bricks in the center, and then 1/2" plywood the same size as the bottom of the tank over all bricks and then a sheet of Styrofoam would be safer.

Jay
Oof, you're absolutely right. Going to go pick up some more bricks. Not sure where I heard the "four corners" theory or why I thought it was a good idea. :eek:

Puffers are great. I have a small toby in my main tank who drives me crazy. If porcupines didn't get so ginormous I would be keeping this one.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof, you're absolutely right. Going to go pick up some more bricks. Not sure where I heard the "four corners" theory or why I thought it was a good idea. :eek:

Puffers are great. I have a small toby in my main tank who drives me crazy. If porcupines didn't get so ginormous I would be keeping this one.
Just a word more of caution - please be careful moving this tank, make sure it is completely empty! Also, you might want to post a picture to the general message board and ask others if my assessment is correct or not - I'd hate to send you down the wrong path here. I've never tried holding a tank up like this because I was always told not to, but just because I've been doing things a certain way, doesn't make it right (grin).

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back