Possible disease has hit my RG Basslet and Midas Blenny. Thoughts on which it could be?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recommended this DNA test on the tank but then someone else told me it wasn't that great. I thought I'd post it here so you could have a laugh at it.
I've not seen a report from this company before, thanks for sharing. I thought they could also test for protozoans, was that extra? Can I ask, what did it cost to run the sample?

I see at least five family of bacteria listed that contain members that can cause disease in fish.

like ICP testing, I think this sort of testing will require multiple tests and then compare the results.

Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen a report from this company before, thanks for sharing. I thought they could also test for protozoans, was that extra? Can I ask, what did it cost to run the sample?

I see at least five family of bacteria listed that contain members that can cause disease in fish.

like ICP testing, I think this sort of testing will require multiple tests and then compare the results.

Jay
$99 dollars.

That is what they have listed.

I don't know what to make of it or what I am even supposed to do to be more "diverse." I haven't read much into it.

Anyways, if you want to share with other people to compare it to other tests. I took a hit for curiosities sake.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a follow up e-mail.

"Hi Dan,

I'm writing to follow up personally on this automated email and share my perspective on your report.

The test showed your sample came from a microbial community less diverse than the typical reef tank, and with a slightly different composition. Neither value was extreme - these are on the lower end of the typical range.

Looking at your community composition, we can spot all of the major families from the typical reef tank microbiome in your sample. None are present at unusually high levels, but several are present at lower than usual levels. No major deviations from normal.

Mixed results from the nitrifying community. The ammonia oxidizers are present at typical levels, and have better than usual diversity (two families). We didnt find any nitrite oxidizers. These are surely present somewhere in an established tank, but the test indicates their levels are very low. This is only a problem if you are having issues with nutrient management or nuisance algae. Other processes can handle the nutrients in some systems e.g. carbon dosing or algal uptake.

No sign of any pathogens. We normally consider no pathogens to be a positive finding but I see that you were hoping to identify the cause of death for some lost fish. Unfortunately we didnt find a smoking gun here. Since the test worked well on your sample at a technical level I take this result at face value and consider the sample effectively pathogen free.

This could indicate that whatever killed the fish has not persisted in the tank after their death. Or perhaps the cause of death was not a bacterial pathogen. Depending on the symptoms it may make sense to test for eukaryotic parasites with the tankDNA test.

Whatever the cause of previous fish deaths, the test indicates the microbial community in your tank does not present any risks to fish currently.

I hope this is useful. Thanks"

Stupid question. How do I add "nitrite oxidizers?" I know they have nitrifying bacteria but I have no idea if that is the same. Is this something I can add to balance out that part of my tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back