Possible DIY LED

MyLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hubby has been thinking about turning a Chi into a SW tank for some time now. He is aware that evap will be an issue and has come up with the "hampster bottle" ATO to solve that issue. He is however looking at doing a DIY of LEDs over it for the lighting. He has done some research, but I need to know what is the difference between a 1w and a 3w LED? Is one stronger than the other? Will one last longer than the other? He's at work right now so I cant ask him.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the 3w are stronger than the 1w. Reef led, check them out they are a sponser here. They have every thing you'll need for a diy setup and also kits that come with everything you'll need. Bill's a great guy to deal with too.

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3W put off a much higher PAR rating then the 1Ws. Your going to need 3 times or more, as many 1W leds as you would 3W just to achieve that same PAR rating. I am currently in the middle of my CREE 3W LED build on my biocube. Im using 12 over the 14 gallon tank. There is ALOT of info spread out throughout this section, so just keep creeping through it and searching. As for which will last longer, its gonna depend on the average amount of hours each LED is rated for, but remember you will only be able to achieve that with the proper heatsink and dissipation of heat. Heat is one of the biggest things that will shorten the life of them.

OP
OP
M

MyLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so for brighter light and more PAR, get the 3w leds? As I am the newbie, whats PAR? Hubby is still at work and I cant ask him.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your gonna go led look into the kits from bill at reef led lights he is sponsor here on reef2reef he has the best
Prices and best products hands down... I started mine this morning I will get a thread here shortly!!!:xd:

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They are stronger and give more/ intense lighting. They last about the same. So. Good luck with the setup

OP
OP
M

MyLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your gonna go led look into the kits from bill at reef led lights he is sponsor here on reef2reef he has the best
Prices and best products hands down... I started mine this morning I will get a thread here shortly!!!:xd:

Hubby is having a friend make the heatsink and we are not sure where to order the LEDs and whatnot from. I am the best shopper out there so If he has found 12 LEDs and whatnot for $112, I should be able to find them for less.

OP
OP
M

MyLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Chi. its an art deco nano tank primarily for planted FW designs. Hubby likes the way it looks and wants to do a zoa garden in it.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have three watters from reefled as well
go two blue to one white and your zoas will glow

OP
OP
M

MyLady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the Chi. A friend of his runs a metal shop and is planning on helping him with the heat sink. They have been discussing the design of it over the phone, otherwise I'd never know that LOL. He is in love with zoa corals and wants a nano tank full of just those types. Can't say they are my favorite. I tend to prefer the corals that move and sway in the water, like my bubble and the duncans, but to each their own.
chi.jpg

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
come on how can you not love zoas. it sounds like you are on the right path diy leds are great just make sure to get the dimmable drivers i didn't and ended up swapping htem out and buying more drivers. none the less good luck and make sure you show off some photos of the build

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back