Possible failed QT

fishfairy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m just not sure how to proceed and looking for advise please. Some background: my main tank 200 gallon is fallow due to either Ich or velvet (most likely Ich). My fish are in a 40 and 20L QT during the fallow period. It has been about 40 days since fallow began. Around day 23 of Cupramine treatment we lost power for 6 days, the tanks dipped into the low 60s with a generator that couldn’t keep up. Fish and corals/inverts from display were moved to a relatives house with power, while they were kept separate, there was cross contamination between display and QT that happened with my siphon during my panic to save everything

I continued cupramine for an additional ten days once things settled down due to the possible cross contamination but worried about how long they were in copper. About 48 hours ago I added cuprisorb. Today my Tomini tang is laying on his side almost the lifeless (I didn’t observe anything unusual about his behavior yesterday but truthfully didn’t pay close attention to him). His gills appear inflamed and the inside of his mouth is black (maybe it was this way before). Tried a fresh water dip in case of flukes but nothing.
Any thoughts? Could my QT have failed. Should I ramp cupramine back up? I have an ammonia badge that shows yellow (good). I have been doing 10% water changes every other day, both QT tanks were fully cycled At the beginning. I added Cupramine to new water and tested cupramine levels with the seachem test before adding water to the tank during water changes. Any help is appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a fish does down like that (moribund) there is usually nothing that can be done for it, so thoughts then turn to damage control, and what other fish are in the same tank with it that may also become infected.

How do the other fish look? Is the tang breathing fast/heavy? Short of anything else, I think you should get the Cupramine back up to full strength.

jay

OP
OP
fishfairy

fishfairy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a fish does down like that (moribund) there is usually nothing that can be done for it, so thoughts then turn to damage control, and what other fish are in the same tank with it that may also become infected.

How do the other fish look? Is the tang breathing fast/heavy? Short of anything else, I think you should get the Cupramine back up to full strength.

jay
Thank you for your response it’s really appreciated. The Tomini passed quickly this afternoon and has been removed, he was breathing very heavy and slow when I discovered him this morning. No visible symptoms other than maybe swollen gills. The only other fish in that tank is a 3 inch hippo tang. He’s eating great, however he’s been out swimming way more than usual today (he’s been very shy during the fallow period, so not sure if this is a symptom). I removed Cupramine from my other QT two days ago as well (clowns, purple fire fish, lawnmower blenny) they all seem great but never showed symptoms of Ich/velvet during the initial outbreak.

I’m ramping cupramine back up in the 40 tank with the Hippo. Will start adding cupramine back to the other qt as well. Very disheartening day as I don’t know what I’m dealing with now

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back