Possible Fin Rot

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,
I’ve been having a Yellow Watchman Goby for almost a year now and I’m beginning to notice a change in his dorsal fin, it seems like it’s rotting away. The pictures shown below are from June 7th, March 15th, May 20th, and yesterday (Top to bottom). His health seems very good, he eats like a hog and seems to be very aggressive towards his own reflection. There are no obvious suspects to be nipping at him, I currently have a Carmel clown, 2x green chromis, and a green Mandarin.

19E17AC5-92E2-4F0D-8410-0FEA53F2CB27.jpeg AC311BD8-5AD2-45ED-AC08-BB258FFF514B.jpeg 8ECCA63C-50C4-4AAE-B826-167D204165EC.jpeg D72E93F6-4B03-4286-AC31-97B7847E0478.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's puzzling. Most fin erosion issues stem from mechanical damage (rubbing, or a fish biting them). Dorsal fins are rarely involved, and the fish you listed are unlikely to attack a goby like this. Also, the margin of the fish seems too smooth, most fin rot eats away at the skin between the fin rays first, leaving the fin rays sticking out like spikes.
There are some chronic issues that can cause fin erosion - diet issues, and head and lateral line erosion. I don't think it is either of those two problems. So - I don't see anything immediately treatable.

Jay

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's puzzling. Most fin erosion issues stem from mechanical damage (rubbing, or a fish biting them). Dorsal fins are rarely involved, and the fish you listed are unlikely to attack a goby like this. Also, the margin of the fish seems too smooth, most fin rot eats away at the skin between the fin rays first, leaving the fin rays sticking out like spikes.
There are some chronic issues that can cause fin erosion - diet issues, and head and lateral line erosion. I don't think it is either of those two problems. So - I don't see anything immediately treatable.

Jay
Thank you Jay for the response. His attitude seems completely normal and healthy and the only thing that keeps me worried is his dorsal fin "disappearing". I know it started to "wither away" when I had a Royal Gramma and they would combat for hiding places (at the time I had very little rock, like maybe 20-25lbs of rock). I don't think that there would be any diet issues due to me feeding the tank frozen brine/mysis either once a day or twice (I cut the cube into fours and feed them one of the 1/4).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a big fan of frozen brine, it has little food value and is lacking in some essential fatty acids. Mysids are better. What about trying some high quality pellets? I use new life spectrum.
Jay

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a big fan of frozen brine, it has little food value and is lacking in some essential fatty acids. Mysids are better. What about trying some high quality pellets? I use new life spectrum.
Jay
I have the same brand, I used them before with my entire tank but none of the fish liked them only the YWG and the Mandarin (I assume because he picked at the sand where they fell), but he wouldn't eat all of the pellets that submerged, so I'd be increasing the nitrate/phosphate. I also didn't feel very confident that they were giving him the right nutrients so I strayed away from them, but I'm going to give it a second chance since you recommended them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same brand, I used them before with my entire tank but none of the fish liked them only the YWG and the Mandarin (I assume because he picked at the sand where they fell), but he wouldn't eat all of the pellets that submerged, so I'd be increasing the nitrate/phosphate. I also didn't feel very confident that they were giving him the right nutrients so I strayed away from them, but I'm going to give it a second chance since you recommended them.
Well, def. don't overfeed them, but I think they have a pretty solid nutritional profile. I also feed a lot of Omega pellets.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back