Possible Future Test Films?

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by sonnus, Aug 27, 2015.

1. sonnus

sonnus Member

I was curious as to the other likely parameters that would be ready to implement? I know iron and other heavy metals was mentioned.

What is the likelihood that phosphate (or maybe phosphorus?) or nitrate will be possible with this technology?

What are some of the other possibilities?

Tags:

2. calistyle

calistyle Member

I signed up for the Dec. release, because I support innovation and want to reward it. It will also provide me with very useful information to my finger tips and I'll be able to remove a large portion of test kits as well.

However, two of the most important things are missing - Phosphate and Nitrate.

Ammonia and Nitrite are important, but I haven't tested those in over a year (when I started this tank).

po4 and no3 would be amazing! We would learn so much. How feeding has an affect on our systems, when I need to change GFO, or need to dose a little more/less carbon.

I'm not mad that we don't have these options yet, I am just eager for the future!

3. acesq

acesq Active Member

Sorry to jump in here, but check out the FAQs on the kickstarter page, many question, including those on Nitrate and Phosphate testing have been answered. Short answer: Nitrate: maybe, its a priority. Phosphate, not likely. Long answer from the page:

We understand that Nitrate is an important parameter to monitor when establishing a new tank or making changes to an existing tank. We have been investing in developing a Nitrate sensor and have achieved very promising results for a Nitrate sensor for freshwater tanks. We believe an accurate Nitrate sensor for saltwater tanks is technically feasible and it is a very high development priority for us. It is possible that our research may not yield a functional Nitrate sensor.
    We know that Phosphate is also a key reef tank parameter and it is an important development priority for us as well. However, we anticipate developing a Phosphate sensor that does not use reagent technology will be especially complex and difficult to achieve.

evolved likes this.
  4. calistyle

calistyle Member

Yup, I read the FAQ. Which is why I wanted to comment on it here.

I want them to know that I love the product as it is today and will support it, but that I also really look forward to the possibility to test po4/no3.

5. acesq

acesq Active Member

Got it. :) I agree phosphate and nitrate would be great additions, and its too bad phosphate will likely never happen. Regardless, I too cant wait for this to be released. If it works, its a huge step forward for the hobby.

6. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Just an added comment to clarify what might be a misconception, there's never any form of phosphorus that would be in a reef tank except phosphate (including both inorganic and organic forms).

The fact that the Hanna checker reports data as phosphorus does NOT mean it detects phosphorus. It, like the typical kits we use, detects only inorganic phosphate, not total phosphorus or total phosphate. :)

7. Step Ahead Innovations

Step Ahead Innovations Member

Thanks a lot. Never say "never." We have some pretty smart guys working here at SAI and given the resources, you'll never know what they will come up with! :)

8. acesq

acesq Active Member

I love the attitude! I'm an early beta subscriber and am pulling for you guys to meet you fundraising goals so the roll out stays on track. Good luck at MACNA.

9. Grant

Grant Member

Yes also a December backer. Can't wait. Good luck at MACNA.

10. sonnus

sonnus Member

I also think Strontium and Iron would be decent additions to the Mindstream.

7hogwarts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted