Possible Ichor velvet.

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed these white spots on my clown today and was wondering if anyone knew what this could be and how to treat. P.S. these were the best photos I could get

IMG_20221123_205906.jpg IMG_20221123_205902.jpg IMG_20221123_205839.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed these white spots on my clown today and was wondering if anyone knew what this could be and how to treat. P.S. these were the best photos I could get

IMG_20221123_205906.jpg IMG_20221123_205902.jpg IMG_20221123_205839.jpg
Too large for velvet and may be ich but pics are fuzzy to confirm but would like to see clearer as clown seems discolored /faded and want to assure brooklynella is not playing a role

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too large for velvet and may be ich but pics are fuzzy to confirm but would like to see clearer as clown seems discolored /faded and want to assure brooklynella is not playing a role
here is the link. This was the best I could do.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
here is the link. This was the best I could do.

My suspicion is brooklynella which affects mainly wild clowns. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion is brooklynella which affects mainly wild clowns. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
Unfortunately I will have to go with the Ruby Rally due to the fact that I am under the suspension the other tank mates are in the early stages of being affected and due to the upcoming holiday causing my options to become very limited. I will separate out the single clown into QT, but possible DT dosing might be required.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that clown for three weeks now the orange one is two months in the tank. One dose of microbe-lift parasitic expellant last night. I unfortunately have to wait until Friday for any stores to open up in order to get the other treatment methods. I was going to do the fresh water dip once it heats up to the tank temperature then separate the clown into the QT tank.
I agree this could be Brooklynella. How long have you had the clowns" Have you treated them with anything yet?

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had that clown for three weeks now the orange one is two months in the tank. One dose of microbe-lift parasitic expellant last night. I unfortunately have to wait until Friday for any stores to open up in order to get the other treatment methods. I was going to do the fresh water dip once it heats up to the tank temperature then separate the clown into the QT tank.
Microbe Lift makes a great Pond product line but needs to stay out of aquarium market. I have No faith in this product and what im saying is " Dont expect much result" - This comes from a person who sold their product line at my LFS and got rid of it as fast as I brought it onto my shelves

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbe Lift makes a great Pond product line but needs to stay out of aquarium market. I have No faith in this product and what im saying is " Dont expect much result" - This comes from a person who sold their product line at my LFS and got rid of it as fast as I brought it onto my shelves
I will toss it the second I can get your suggested methods. It was really bad timing that this happened during a holiday, but I still blame myself for using the wrong product as a preventative measure.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Almost all Ich/Brooklynella is off of my clown due to the copper bath. I will give it the two weeks recommended with the temp increase to avoid any possible hitchhikers into the DT. I was correct about the other fish showing signs, so I unfortunately had to add copper to the DT as well. Once this is all over I will be changing out the substrate and giving the live rock a carbon soak to remove traces of copper. I did see that most machines will keep the copper so I replaced my skimmer with a HoB filter with sock until it's removed from my system. Thank you for all the help!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update: Almost all Ich/Brooklynella is off of my clown due to the copper bath. I will give it the two weeks recommended with the temp increase to avoid any possible hitchhikers into the DT. I was correct about the other fish showing signs, so I unfortunately had to add copper to the DT as well. Once this is all over I will be changing out the substrate and giving the live rock a carbon soak to remove traces of copper. I did see that most machines will keep the copper so I replaced my skimmer with a HoB filter with sock until it's removed from my system. Thank you for all the help!
Carbon will not remove copper from rock in whole and copper will also affect the bacteria withjin the rock and tank
Copper does not address Brook but obviously ich. If the bottom line is that fish are improved and doing well- Glad to hear !!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back