Possible ick, clownish

shewy94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see attached pictures, is this ick or something else? I see some white spots on base of dorsal fin and on pectoral fins but they aren’t raised or very prominent in color. Fish is eating and behaving normally at this time. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

335C1CE2-87D0-4344-8573-F3021C20BD43.jpeg 8574C356-9483-4304-8044-D7C8321294C8.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0195.MOV
    55.8 MB
  • IMG_0174.MOV
    87.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The spots look a bit too diffuse to be ich. It could be the start of Brooklynella or even flukes. Trouble is, those choices each have a different treatment.
How long have you had the fish? What other fish are in with it? Did it go through any quarantine?
Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agreeing with Jay, I too see the start of brooklynella especially with the white mucus film.
The most noticeable sign of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
There are varying suggestions on how to treat an aquarium that has been infested with Brooklynella. The consensus is that the best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is a formaldehyde solution in better terms - Formalin. Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all infected fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW dip or bath. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shewy94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The spots look a bit too diffuse to be ich. It could be the start of Brooklynella or even flukes. Trouble is, those choices each have a different treatment.
How long have you had the fish? What other fish are in with it? Did it go through any quarantine?
Jay
Thanks for the advice! I got the pair of clowns as soon as my cycle finished a little over two months ago, the other clown looks healthy. Since then I have added an orchid dottyback, yellow watchmen goby, and a cleaner shrimp. Plus a clean up crew about a week ago when I started to notice algae. This is my first tank and I havent done any quarantine procedures with the fish so far, I think I learned my lesson on that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shewy94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreeing with Jay, I too see the start of brooklynella especially with the white mucus film.
The most noticeable sign of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
There are varying suggestions on how to treat an aquarium that has been infested with Brooklynella. The consensus is that the best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is a formaldehyde solution in better terms - Formalin. Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all infected fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW dip or bath. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Thank you for your advice.

Upvote 0
Back