Possible ick transfer?

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.. if not I'm sorry.
I'm a little panicked right now. Over the weekend my mother in laws tank had a little issue and we had to put a few of her fish in our tank. Because we have a good amount of the fish she does we only ended up putting her 2 chromis and her Male valentini puffer (we have a female) the valentini didnt make it but the two chromis did. That was Sunday morning. Her clownfish and 2 dartfish went into a little bucket together and her dragon goby and lawnmower blenny went into another bucket. This morning we got a text saying her clowns both had ick. I havent seen them yet so I can't tell you if they do or dont with my own eyes. But should I be worried about our tank being infected with ick? She says none of the other fish are showing symptoms but.. we have a few fish that are pretty susceptible to ick and I want to start preventing it from showing up if theres a chance our tank has it too.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.. if not I'm sorry.
I'm a little panicked right now. Over the weekend my mother in laws tank had a little issue and we had to put a few of her fish in our tank. Because we have a good amount of the fish she does we only ended up putting her 2 chromis and her Male valentini puffer (we have a female) the valentini didnt make it but the two chromis did. That was Sunday morning. Her clownfish and 2 dartfish went into a little bucket together and her dragon goby and lawnmower blenny went into another bucket. This morning we got a text saying her clowns both had ick. I havent seen them yet so I can't tell you if they do or dont with my own eyes. But should I be worried about our tank being infected with ick? She says none of the other fish are showing symptoms but.. we have a few fish that are pretty susceptible to ick and I want to start preventing it from showing up if theres a chance our tank has it too.
If you didn't treat the fish for ich prior to transferring into your tank, then it is definitely probable that you transferred ich over, assuming it wasn't already present in your tank anyway. What were your QT procedures with your own fish? You may have never seen the indications of ich due to good husbandry in your tank (i.e. stable parameters and routine makes for a happy fish, fends off effects from ich better).

A photo of what she is seeing would be helpful. Could just be lympho which looks like fewer but much larger spots usually on the fins. Clownfish have such thick skin you rarely see ich on the body of the fish, just as a FYI.

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it was more of an emergency situation we never got to qt fish, and usually cause of the place I get them from I never qt my fish because I trust them quite a bit and have made really good friends with the manager & owner, they do qt all the fish that come in on their shipments and longer for fish that do show ick & other symptoms. I'm at work right now so I dont have any pictures and neither does she. I sent her some pics of velvet and ick and she says it looks more like velvet. Mind you we put the 2 fish in our tank Sunday and took them out not even 3hrs later. And her fish are just showing symptoms today. I can see if my brother or sister in law can snap some pics of them for me, but before when I asked I guess they were hiding.

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is ick one of those things that present in all tanks but never shows symptoms or something or is there a trigger to it? We have never seen any ick or symptoms and last fish she added to her tank was over 2mths ago

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stuff was coming off.. not sure if that means something

20190521_115831.jpg

20190521_115853.jpg

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is ick one of those things that present in all tanks but never shows symptoms or something or is there a trigger to it? We have never seen any ick or symptoms and last fish she added to her tank was over 2mths ago
If ich is never introduced then it won't exist. Many people choose not to trust anyone other than themselves in QT'ing just for this reason... one slip up and it is introduced and going about ridding the tank of it is an awful experience. If it does exist in your tank and you don't see symptoms, it merely means that the fish are relaxed (low stress) and their immune system is keeping up with the impact/infections. Ich is actually relatively manageable if you do get it. It is not necessarily a death sentence.

Velvet however is often/mostly a death sentence. I just lost all but 2 of my fish to it in my 450g. Awful demon parasite. The picture you are showing is definitely not velvet based on what I have seen velvet as in the past. Clownfish are very susceptible to Brook but that doesn't really look like Brook either to me. Does the skin look like it is peeling away at all (more of a Brook feature)?

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the skin look like it is peeling away at all (more of a Brook feature)?
I wish I was able to get a good picture of the misbar she has that honestly kinda does look like it had Brooks. Its skin looks kind of fuzzy almost like it has a soft texture if I were to touch it. I'm not very good at explaining things so I hope that kinda helps

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that potentially sand on the fish body

That's what I was hoping because when she got him out and everything the white spots were coming off in her hand, his mom does have a sand sifter that seems to like to drop sand all over anything and everything it can

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back