Possible infection Male Lined Seahorse? Help!

aquaristkeke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s wrong with my male lined seahorse? He already has pouch emphysema that I treat with pouch evacs a few times a week. I just came in today and noticed his eyes so swollen and his pouch looking weird. What should I do?

A382F802-94B6-4B45-BBF4-B304CE89758F.jpeg

OP
OP
A

aquaristkeke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that the only difference that has been made is I added live brine shrimp to his afternoon diet to supplement the mysis shrimpy he normally eats since he hasn’t been eating much lately.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect a bacterial or viral infection. Can you let us know a bit about your setup?

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree with seahorse keeper, can you tell us a bit about your setup?

For background, I’ve kept seahorses for a few years now, and, been through what you are going through. The pouch emphysema and now Popeye are signs of a bacterial infection that’s spreading. You can still save the little guy, but, a couple of questions:

How many seahorses in your tank? how big of a tank and do you have a chiller? And how often do you change the water?

do you have a separate container (5gallons preferred, but a 2.5 gallon is the bare minimum for a seahorse in QT.if you don’t have one, can you get one?

do you have access to 2.5 to 5 gallons of water daily?

do you have access to ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, or kanamyacin? You can get the kanamycin as kanaplex from seachem, and the cipro or doxy from thefishaid webstore.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back