Possible Injury or Uronema

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a pintail wrasse in quarantine that is about to succumb to an external injury or uronema. The fish appeared normal yesterday but tonight was swimming poorly and I noticed the spot. I would like an opinion on injury vs uronema. There is also a red margin wrasse in the tank. I am planning on treating with ruby reef rally and moving to a new tank once I can get my hands on some. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
ECB3B531-5940-4D47-887F-FD0A67D2FC4F.jpeg

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What QT procedure are you following already assuming the fish is in a QT tank right now? Looks pretty rough I think I would get him in antibiotics asap if you think its damage. And if you're sure the damage is new, figure out what caused it.. Start with removing that plastic plant for some pvc tubes lol.

OP
OP
jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What QT procedure are you following already assuming the fish is in a QT tank right now? Looks pretty rough I think I would get him in antibiotics asap if you think its damage. And if you're sure the damage is new, figure out what caused it.. Start with removing that plastic plant for some pvc tubes lol.
I did a 150 ppm peroxide bath and I’m feeding food soaked with general cure. I don’t have anything to treat with tonight but hopefully he hold on until I can get something.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve got a pintail wrasse in quarantine that is about to succumb to an external injury or uronema. The fish appeared normal yesterday but tonight was swimming poorly and I noticed the spot. I would like an opinion on injury vs uronema. There is also a red margin wrasse in the tank. I am planning on treating with ruby reef rally and moving to a new tank once I can get my hands on some. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
Looks like a nick or injury with a sore now showing. Peroxide is at high level and may stress fish. Food soaked in GC wont do much for this.
marine fish have the ability to heal quaickly and on their own however this has the potential to develop into a bacterial issue. Keep an eye on it but it would not if you can to secure seachem neoplex. Maracyn 2 would be an alternative.

OP
OP
jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nick or injury with a sore now showing. Peroxide is at high level and may stress fish. Food soaked in GC wont do much for this.
marine fish have the ability to heal quaickly and on their own however this has the potential to develop into a bacterial issue. Keep an eye on it but it would not if you can to secure seachem neoplex. Maracyn 2 would be an alternative.
Thanks for the response. Based on the condition of the fish I’m afraid it won’t make it through the night. I’ll be getting

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see clearly, but Uronema is frequently misdiagnosed as an injury. If the spot got larger over time, it is probably Uronema. Not treatable when it is internal like that, but also not very contagious. Can you get chloroquine?
Jay

OP
OP
jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see clearly, but Uronema is frequently misdiagnosed as an injury. If the spot got larger over time, it is probably Uronema. Not treatable when it is internal like that, but also not very contagious. Can you get chloroquine?
Jay
It didn’t make it through the night. I gave it a quick examination and it appeared to be an open wound. Any suggestions on what to treat the other wrasse with?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn’t make it through the night. I gave it a quick examination and it appeared to be an open wound. Any suggestions on what to treat the other wrasse with?
Sorry to hear.
Nothing except chloroquine. It may not be affected though. Uronema is found naturally in many aquariums. For unknown reasons it becomes an inter cellular parasite in some fish - newly acquired wrasse, chromis and anthias. It typically doesn’t spread. The fish seem to have it inside before you even get them.

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back