possible my leather coral is ticking evrybody off with toxins??

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a talk recently by my friend Bob Fenner , the corals lose thier ability to produce toxins the farther away from the original wild coral that was imported. So a third gen leather will produce less toxins than a wild import. It’s diet. Same as poison dart frogs.

I have heard this is also true in regards to palytoxin. Have you heard anything one way or the other?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard this is also true in regards to palytoxin. Have you heard anything one way or the other?
I have not no. So I don’t know for sure.

Depending on the animal ,it happens in algaes and terrestrial plans as well, some produce it to excrete it to make boundaries , some keep it in thier bodies in case of being eaten. That could be the difference.

I do know some palys of mine make my skin itch. The green “trash paly” or nuclear green paly.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting , Makes sense to me. If a plant or other animal is no longer exposed to the same insects , disease or other plant trying to take it's spot ,would loose this ability. After all it takes more energy to produce these defenses .

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting , Makes sense to me. If a plant or other animal is no longer exposed to the same insects , disease or other plant trying to take it's spot ,would loose this ability. After all it takes more energy to produce these defenses .
Makes even more sense, I battle vegetation allergy's, wild grape, strangler ivy and poison ivy, In the wild they compete for the same space and I dont know how they do it but it but its murder.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes even more sense, I battle vegetation allergy's, wild grape, strangler ivy and poison ivy, In the wild they compete for the same space and I dont know how they do it but it but its murder.
Some plants are not very nice.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think its a nutrient problem? I also have a mixed frag tank and the palys only do well when i feed heavy and the water is dirty, i mean brown dirty when doing a WC.

The parameters need to be good and the light needs to be specific cause my purple deaths change from purple to green to brown of the lighting or food is not perfect. They take months to color back to purple.

Dr, - what do you mean by light needs to be specific for paly ? I have noticed that mine started to go brown and I when I put them back in my QT tank they reverted back. The PAR via my seneye is about the same in both tanks 150. Each move I took about a month to acclimate with increasing PAR. But they are 2 different LEDs. My display has SBReefs sBox lights and my QT has a cheap Chinese LED strip. My parms have been pretty stable in my DT.

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might leather coral toxins affect montipora? I am currently succeeding with stylophora, birdsnests, and easy acros, but a number of montis that did well in my smaller tank have slowly bleached and died. The back left corner of my 120g is my Monti Cemetery.

I'm not sure about leathers affecting Monti's, but some softies can. I have a semi take-over of Xenia in my tank and a while back, I had a bunch of Xenia start growing on the edge of a rock that was right next to a large piece of a purple Monti cap. The Xenia ended up being right up against the edge of that Monti. I eventually saw a little white spot form on Monti about the size of a nickel right next to where the Xenia were. I didn't realize that Xenia could cause trouble like that, so I thought it was something else, something to do with my parameters. By the time I looked at it again a number of days later, the whole Monti was toast.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leather has been happy lately and is starting to grow. I pulled the marine pure a couple of weeks ago and it has started stretching out, I must say that I always get polyp extension but growth has been flat. I was thinking of pulling it after learning about the toxins it can produce but in the pic you can see Frags in direct proximity, they are not growing much but I have to get my doser on line and blame that.
20180813_205616.jpg

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you guys ever shorten the Leather by cutting its stump?

Mine is about 4" in diameter and about 6" tall due to its stump.

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large toadstool and a large sinularia leather and have never had any problems with toxins affecting any of my corals. all lps softies and certain sps (stylo pocillopora, lots of montis) have all done very well for me and continued to grow with no ill affects from the leathers. I cant speak to the affect they have on acros because I don't keep any, but for all my other corals it has never been a problem.

As a side note i have been told that there is different carbon for freshwater and saltwater and when i was using freshwater carbon my tank had some massive algae issues and cyano outbreaks. I can't say for sure whether it is true or not that the freshwater carbon leaches something into the water but it is something to consider.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would speculate the difference is simply quality. Freshwater carbon can be the cheaper dusty stuff which some people use in saltwater aquariums as well. The higher quality stuff is simply marketed towards reef aquariums but I'm sure there are freshwater people who use it as well.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leather has been happy lately and is starting to grow. I pulled the marine pure a couple of weeks ago and it has started stretching out, I must say that I always get polyp extension but growth has been flat. I was thinking of pulling it after learning about the toxins it can produce but in the pic you can see Frags in direct proximity, they are not growing much but I have to get my doser on line and blame that.
20180813_205616.jpg

What made you decide to remove the marine pure?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you decide to remove the marine pure?
Well after a year and a half and a full blown fuge w/a kessil 350 I had zero No3 and at one point zero Po4 and acro frags paled so I stopped the fuge and removed chaeto and layed on the food, well before I knew it Po4 skyrocketed but still no No3. A few of the more experienced folks recommended to remove it. I also believe that between 50-60 + lbs of LR, MP, fuge and having a Puka shell base I had TOO much surface for bacteria.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, with tomorrow’s water change, I’m pulling out a neon green nepthea and a toadstool. I’ve got an acro and monti that are dead fir no other reason. Time for them to go. Not happy, but doing it.

Coug92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Maybe that was my problem too. I have had a large umbrella coral for years and had problems with acros bleaching. Problem improved when I moved to a larger tank so maybe the water volume helped. Still plan to sell the softie.

Attachments

• E39AC344-AA12-49C2-B771-FB06BA1ED55D.jpeg
    E39AC344-AA12-49C2-B771-FB06BA1ED55D.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 30

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Maybe that was my problem too. I have had a large umbrella coral for years and had problems with acros bleaching. Problem improved when I moved to a larger tank so maybe the water volume helped. Still plan to sell the softie.
I'd keep that beautiful toadstool over any finicky sps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back