Possible new 125

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! New here! My wife and I have had fish all of our lives (I'm 34, she's 31) so we're not new, but we are new to salt. She has wanted a salt tank since we've been married. I finally took the plunge and started a 20 gallon nano in December. Little did I know how much I'd love it.

We've got a Percula Clownfish, a Gladiator Clownfish, both around an inch and a half long. Also have a White Lined Combtooth blenny. On order we have a Royal Gramma, a few snails, and a Fire Red shrimp. Believe we should be at our limit for this tank with that much of a bio load. The clowns have become my favorite fish of all time. Absolutely love them.

We just started corals, with a green mushroom, and pom pom xenia. The mushroom is doing great, but the xenia looks awful after 4 days. No clue what to do with it. Our numbers are where (I believe) they should be.

Anyway, I have a 125 non drilled freshwater tank. We're wanting to turn it eventually to our main display tank and it be saltwater. I'm going to be buying a 75 and letting her have my 125. I would also much rather have the salt be the bigger tank now as well.

With running a full planted tank with fertilizer, is there anything to worry about with making it saltwater? Or do I just do a good cleaning and let it roll?

I'm not wanting to get it drilled if possible. I'd like to run 3 of the big seachem tidal filters, and just do normal water changes. For some reason, I'm nervous with the big salt tank.

Wed like soft, easy corals to begin with, so any light recommendations would be great. Not top of the line, but definitely want to get into other ones eventually.

Sorry this got long, but any info would be appreciated!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are touchy in newer settings. Placement best mid-tank moderate light and water flow.

temp 76-79
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.1-8.3
Nitrate. < .95
Phosphate. < .04

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like everything is good on those numbers except my pH is a steady 7.9-8.0.

So for water changes, our sink is upstairs. I run a 50 ft python for my fresh tank, and the short manual one for my 20g salt. Obviously I need to get an rodi unit for the 125 once we get to converting it.

How would you recommend doing water changes? Get a tub and sit in the bathroom for the good water to go to, and use a pump attached to a 50 ft hose to pump back to the tank? Use a pump to empty the water down the sink as well?

I think that's my biggest worry. The 3 tidal 110s should be adequate filtration with rocks I'd assume?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back