Possible parasite introduction into display tank?

MrBink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was moving stuff around with my hands in my quarantine tank with a clownfish that has some sort of parasites. There is also medication in the water (Ich X to be exact). I wiped my hands off on my pants and paper towels and about 15-30 minutes passed before I accidentally put my fingertips in my display tank. It was just my fingertips and they were in there for less than half a minute, possibly less than 1/3 of a minute. I’m a bit paranoid and worrying if I potentially introduced any medications or parasites into my display tank. I have a goby and blenny in there right now that are still fine and dandy. I took the clownfish out last Friday and my lfs told me that if the goby and blenny dont show any signs till this weekend that I’m probably in the clear. I’m just really hoping I didn’t screw that up with my stupidity.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mrbink, welcome to the club! The fingertip thing I wouldn't stress about. The advice your lfs is giving you on the other hand is very concerning....

OP
OP
M

MrBink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time having a reef tank so I’m not too familiar with fish parasites/diseases. I’ve already lost a clownfish to ich/velvet/marine, his paired friend is the clownfish in the quarantine. I pulled them both out to quarantine last Friday and I was wondering if I should also quarantine the goby and blenny but the lfs said that I shouldn’t cause them the extra stress and that I should just monitor them.
Hey mrbink, welcome to the club! The fingertip thing I wouldn't stress about. The advice your lfs is giving you on the other hand is very concerning....

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what kind of tank your running. If the clowns have ick then it is in your tank and all of your fish are infected whether they show it or not. To keep a parasite free tank they should all be removed and treated with copper while the tank sits vacant for 45 or 76 days. And all new additions should be quarantined. Or if your less concerned with parasites then leave the other fish alone and just feed them lots of healthy foods and keep extra clean water and they should do ok.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back