Possible Parasite on Baby Blue Tang

AquaScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve had this baby Blue Tang for about a week. A couple days ago I noticed this white spot right up by its dorsal fin on the left side. Does this look like a parasite? Is there a treatment for this particular parasite? I’m hoping the picture is good enough.

Thank you,

90CC8BC6-CEC1-40BF-9291-D8EB87382E16.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Sharkbait19 @vetteguy53081 @threebuoys Okay, so I have a quarantine tank 29 gal. set up, filled up, not quite dialed in with thermometer, but I do have a heater with a thermostat. Thermometers are on the way. New filter on the way. Currently running HOB skimmer with a little bio media only and skimmer skimming. Filled the QT with half water from DT, half ro/di w/instant ocean. I got Rid Ich as this was the recommendation from lfs. Is Rid Ich an effective treatment? Probably should have grabbed copper too?
Based on reading some other posts, I was thinking it might be wise to leave infected fish in main tank and keep a close eye on them. I am under the impression that QT is stressful and may do more harm? The fish seem healthy. Still eating very well, no rubbing on the rocks or anything. The level of infection (outward signs) doesn’t appear to be worse today. I’d say about the same. Is this irrational, wishful thinking?
If you have parasites, it would NOT be wise to leave any fish in display tank and give parasites a host to feed on and multiply. You want to remove fish and leave display tank fishless 45-60 days allowing any parasites to go through their life cycles and die off.
Inverts and coral however can remain in display tank. In QT, you want to treat for full 30 days (not a day less) and given therapuetic level and monitor water quality in the process.
Add aeration is optional but often beneficial for oxygen, ph, air exchange and circulation

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AquaScott

AquaScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to catch these guys for the better part of a few hours. Managed to catch 3 out of 8 fish. Frustration setting in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AquaScott

AquaScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JumboShrimp yes, the mucus plugs are gone and it seems like the ich went away after like 2 days in quarantine. Thank you for asking! I was able to get all fish in quarantine a day after the frustration post, had to pull out all aquascape. @vetteguy53081 @threebuoys @Sharkbait19 the PBT is now looking blotchy. I have been doing lots of water changes, 50% yesterday. Probably averaging 10-15%/day. Do you think this blotchiness is from copper or ammonia, or something else?

Attachments

• CDB8612E-69B7-477B-A6AD-33620DDBC7AC.jpeg
    CDB8612E-69B7-477B-A6AD-33620DDBC7AC.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0
OP
OP
AquaScott

AquaScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that tang is not looking good. Laying on the bottom just rapid breathing. It was eating earlier today. But, I don’t think he/she is going to make it. :(

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@JumboShrimp yes, the mucus plugs are gone and it seems like the ich went away after like 2 days in quarantine. Thank you for asking! I was able to get all fish in quarantine a day after the frustration post, had to pull out all aquascape. @vetteguy53081 @threebuoys @Sharkbait19 the PBT is now looking blotchy. I have been doing lots of water changes, 50% yesterday. Probably averaging 10-15%/day. Do you think this blotchiness is from copper or ammonia, or something else?
This rashing looks to be a viral issue and often as with lympho (this is not lympho) associated with poor water quality or diet or both causing the fish stress. Check your ammonia and nitrate levels and what foods are you feeding it? Fish has pinched belly suggesting poor diet .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AquaScott

AquaScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rashing looks to be a viral issue and often as with lympho (this is not lympho) associated with poor water quality or diet or both causing the fish stress. Check your ammonia and nitrate levels and what foods are you feeding it? Fish has pinched belly suggesting poor diet

I’ve been checking the ammonia levels daily. They did start to climb after a couple days. So, I have been trying to reduce that by doing water changes. Trying to stay under 0.5 ppm with the dip strips I have (Tetra). Haven’t tested nitrates. I wonder if an air stone would help?
I’ve been feeding piscine energetics mysis, seaweed salad nori, and formula 2 from Ocean Nutrition. Probably most heavy on the mysis. I typically feed one or the other at 2 different times a day.

Upvote 0

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo blue hippos are prone to ich. Mine always had white dots on it but my other fish never got them. If you do use copper please do it in a different tank than your display.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been checking the ammonia levels daily. They did start to climb after a couple days. So, I have been trying to reduce that by doing water changes. Trying to stay under 0.5 ppm with the dip strips I have (Tetra). Haven’t tested nitrates. I wonder if an air stone would help?
I’ve been feeding piscine energetics mysis, seaweed salad nori, and formula 2 from Ocean Nutrition. Probably most heavy on the mysis. I typically feed one or the other at 2 different times a day.
Those strips often give false readings why you see no nitrates. They also work in freshwater concluding I will never trust a $7 kit to sustain the life of )100-$200 worth of fish alone
Have the water tested at a trusted LFS that does Not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back