Possible parasite ova in clownfish poop

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220526_155534.jpg

IMG_20220526_154722.jpg

My two clownfish again have white stringy feces. They started to show white stringy feces about 3 weeks ago.

There is no other symptoms. They still eat well and are not breathing fast. I looked very closely and there is no haziness or white spot on skin. No sign of weight loss or pinched stomach.

I took a fecal sample (seconds after it detached from fish so it's a clean catch) and see these.

I have not been feeding them eggs. But their pellets contain ingredients vaguely labeled as "algae."

Would love your help on identifying these things. Could they be parasite ova? This white feces situation has been very stressful. :(

Thanks for the help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s a toss up
Often when feeding mysis shrimp, brine shrimp or both, the poop can mimic internal issues
Change up foods and see if color of feces change
Often with internal issues, the fish will be thin, Lose interest in food and swim in a strange manner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220526_155534.jpg

IMG_20220526_154722.jpg

My two clownfish again have white stringy feces. They started to show white stringy feces about 3 weeks ago.

There is no other symptoms. They still eat well and are not breathing fast. I looked very closely and there is no haziness or white spot on skin. No sign of weight loss or pinched stomach.

I took a fecal sample (seconds after it detached from fish so it's a clean catch) and see these.

I have not been feeding them eggs. But their pellets contain ingredients vaguely labeled as "algae."

Would love your help on identifying these things. Could they be parasite ova? This white feces situation has been very stressful. :(

Thanks for the help.

Non-descript things in fish feces are really difficult to pin down. Commonly, cysts from mysids or brine shrimp pass through the gut and show up as "eggs" in the feces. That isn't the case here. These could be nothing, or they could be nematode eggs. Praziquantel doesn't work on nematodes, but oral fenbendazole does.

Here is a link to further information:

Jay

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a toss up
Often when feeding mysis shrimp, brine shrimp or both, the poop can mimic internal issues
Change up foods and see if color of feces change
Often with internal issues, the fish will be thin, Lose interest in food and swim in a strange manner
+1

hard to ID a disease thats currently asymptomatic (if it is a disease that is)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back