Possible Parasites Still On My Green Star Polyp?

Pens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for 3 months now and the salinity is on point and all my parameters are in check. I bought my first coral yesterday, a GSP, and I followed the instructions on the dip bottle to properly dip it.

I mixed 4 capfuls of the dip solution with 1 gallon of my tank water, gently stirred with the coral in it for 15 min, took it out and placed it straight into the tank. I realized later on that I shouldn’t have done that

I’m worried that there’s dip solution in my tank now. It’s a 29 gallon aquarium with an Aquaclear 70 running a sponge, carbon, Chemipure Blue, and biological media. Do you think I’ll be fine?

Also, I have a feeling that there might still be pests on the GSP as I can see white dots on it’s purple mat.

For the dip, I used ReVive Coral Cleaner dip.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/two-little-fishies-revive-coral-cleaner.html

9FA539F1-ECD0-46C7-8841-28E34FCE5D62.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re fine. Def not good practice to do. But revive is quite mild.
A wc may make you feel better though.

I dumped a whole cap full in my 55g once

I see nothing on that frag that suggests a parasite.

Quite surprised it’s opening up so quick after the dip honestly.

OP
OP
P

Pens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it! Tbh I think I was just too excited about getting my first coral that I forgot to properly do research on dipping. I’ll definitely be more careful when I get more corals.

As for it opening up, it actually fully opened up today! It looks great and I just hope it only grows over the heart shaped rock in the the back and not onto the aquarium glass or other rocks. It’s basically an island for it but the rock is only about half an inch away from the glass. Do you think it will grow onto the glass even though there’s a bit of sand separating it?

B248D806-857E-425C-BAD6-3590142EBA1E.jpeg

39B28AA1-7069-4F8E-AEC7-5DA5C2B3F486.jpeg

4EA62C03-BEDE-46E7-93E8-AC30EF28FF81.jpeg

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re fine. Def not good practice to do. But revive is quite mild.
A wc may make you feel better though.

I dumped a whole cap full in my 55g once

I see nothing on that frag that suggests a parasite.

Quite surprised it’s opening up so quick after the dip honestly.
I left a rock with GSP on it out in the open air for 3 days. Put it in my new tank and it's still alive [emoji23]

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to revive this thread for a moment. What is between 0.2 mm to 0.3 mm, dark in color (perhaps redish), scurries around like fleas, and seems to eat holes in the tissue of star polyps? Its too small for a photo and are only visible because they move quickly over the light purple coralline. Here is the quick.

1. Polyps on frag stones were in bad shape. Dipped and returned them to tank. They looked so bad I took them out and tossed them.

2. Examined the rock on which they were and saw these bugs. Looked at the rest of the structure where other polyps are encrusting directly and saw bugs all over that too. Dipped the entire structure and deep vacuumed the sand surrouding the area.

3. There are no bugs on the other side of the tank where there are no polyps.

4. I'm examining daily closely with magnifying glass in case second dip is needed. Have not seen a bug since the dip.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Mark

Thee polyps that encrusted well survived. Those on their frag stones were not worth keeping.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back