Possible velvet?

Coopkid94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently lost my blue eye kole tang, after being an idiot and not really noticing any real signs of problems, recently got a new tank moved everything over and noticed my clowns acting very weird staying out of the light tang was also swimming In the current of the power head. As it stands I've got a qt just order some seachem cupramine and test kit any help is much appreciated

20210506_105042.jpg 20210506_105053.jpg 20210506_105051.jpg

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell what it is from pics.
If velvet (looks like powdered sugar vs the salt grain appearance of ick) you probably want to do a 5 min freshwater dip and I would use tank transfer method in air stones / small aquariums or 5 gal buckets (although can’t monitor fish as well), with 36 hour transfers, and a fresh water dip between some of the transfers.
Side note, QT is something I’ve gotten really good at using tank transfer per humblefish instructions. I used to QT with cupramine but turns out cupramine can be a challenge that kills your fish for various reasons - I was having more than 50% fatalities with cupramine and 0% so far at least with tank transfer. If you absolutely want to use copper, go with copper power because it’s more stable than cupramine. The other issue is it seems you have an acute issue, and if you use copper you won’t be able to ramp up to therapy levels before the fish die. When you tank transfer, the fish is immediately cut off from the reproducing ick/ velvet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Coopkid94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell what it is from pics.
If velvet (looks like powdered sugar vs the salt grain appearance of ick) you probably want to do a 5 min freshwater dip and I would use tank transfer method in air stones / small aquariums or 5 gal buckets (although can’t monitor fish as well), with 36 hour transfers, and a fresh water dip between some of the transfers.
Side note, QT is something I’ve gotten really good at using tank transfer per humblefish instructions. I used to QT with cupramine but turns out cupramine can be a challenge that kills your fish for various reasons - I was having more than 50% fatalities with cupramine and 0% so far at least with tank transfer. If you absolutely want to use copper, go with copper power because it’s more stable than cupramine. The other issue is it seems you have an acute issue, and if you use copper you won’t be able to ramp up to therapy levels before the fish die. When you tank transfer, the fish is immediately cut off from the reproducing ick/ velvet.
Hi there and thanks for the reply. I don't think its ich either brook or velvet, but I'm not sure, I'll have to do some reading on the tank transfer method as I have 0 experience. I don't even know how or where its came from because I haven't added anything for atleast a month or 2 unless it takes that long to show itself? Thankyou for your advice its much appreciated

Upvote 0
Back