Possibly Fin Rot on my Lemon Peel Angel

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to do the regular feeding this morning, and my lemon peel angel didn't eat at all and was just kinda hanging out. Which isn't normal. I noticed he has some damage to his fins. Does it look like Fin Rot?

Water Parameters are:
Alk 9.8 dose 10ml RedSea alk
Cal 500 dose 40ml reef pro part a
Mag 1360
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.2
6 dec 22
Phosphates 0.08
Nitrates 2

Starting dosing Neo Nitro two days ago is the only thing that has changed.

tempImageCKAuIz.png tempImageK3Tsp0.png tempImageSTgtua.png tempImage9gPwvF.png tempImage7FAE1j.png tempImageQCXX8z.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went to do the regular feeding this morning, and my lemon peel angel didn't eat at all and was just kinda hanging out. Which isn't normal. I noticed he has some damage to his fins. Does it look like Fin Rot?

Water Parameters are:
Mag 1360
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.2
6 dec 22
Phosphates 0.08
Nitrates 2

tempImageCKAuIz.png tempImageK3Tsp0.png tempImageSTgtua.png tempImage9gPwvF.png tempImage7FAE1j.png tempImageQCXX8z.png
Fin ray damage and fin rot are present as is bacterial affecting its body and mouth.
You have a bacterial issue on hand and fish needs to be treated in a quarantine tank with either Maracyn 2 or seachem Kanaplex. Increase oxygen with air stone and maintain water quality monitoring ammonia levels with a reliable test kit

Chances is your water quality has diminished and has led to this condition.
What is your ammonia-ph-nitrate-salinity levels and how are you testing ?

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin ray damage and fin rot are present as is bacterial affecting its body and mouth.
You have a bacterial issue on hand and fish needs to be treated in a quarantine tank with either Maracyn 2 or seachem Kanaplex. Increase oxygen with air stone and maintain water quality monitoring ammonia levels with a reliable test kit

Chances is your water quality has diminished and has led to this condition.
What is your ammonia-ph-nitrate-salinity levels and how are you testing ?
Thank you for the quick response. I don't have a QT tank is it possible to treat a DT with these supplements? Im using Redsea test kits for all my testing minus the SG, and that hasn't moved from 1.025 since I set up my tank. MY ph is 8.2, Ammonia is 0pmm, and Nitrates are at 2pmm.
I did just get finished with a black out for DINO's could that have something to do with it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the quick response. I don't have a QT tank is it possible to treat a DT with these supplements? Im using Redsea test kits for all my testing minus the SG, and that hasn't moved from 1.025 since I set up my tank. MY ph is 8.2, Ammonia is 0pmm, and Nitrates are at 2pmm.
I did just get finished with a black out for DINO's could that have something to do with it?
Possibly with Dino as it can release low level toxins but the fins suggest water quality issues
QT tank can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials needed
For in-tank , although not highly recommended- you can use Ruby Rally Pro

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to lean more towards ich from what little I can ID from the pictures. I see a few large white spots that lead me to believe it’s ich. I’ve seen ich way to many times & can almost be certain it’s ich without seeing it with my own 2 eyes. Extremely difficult to give a proper diagnosis with being there. Disclaimer, couldn’t be completely wrong. Unfortunately the loss of appetite is almost a death sentence because it’s difficult for the little guy to nourish itself. Also the white film surrounding its body, the severe damage to its fins & cloudiness around its eyes indicates the disease is very advance in its life cycle & has done tons of damage. Either way, the illness is present in your system & I would go ahead & treat the entire system. I wouldn’t run the gamble in introducing any new fish until the system is completely clear of any parasitic or fungus infections. Good luck.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water Parameters are:
Mag 1360
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.2
6 dec 22
Phosphates 0.08
Nitrates 2

Can you post images under white lights?
The fin damage like that almost always starts as a result from some mechanical damage. The is frequently another fish - what are its tank mates?
Jay

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my lemon peel. Found the poor guy dead this morning. No signs of any other fish being affected. Thanks for everyone’s reply.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my lemon peel. Found the poor guy dead this morning. No signs of any other fish being affected. Thanks for everyone’s reply.

Sorry to hear. I see you're a partner member. You have access to a free download copy of my disease book. It wouldn't have specifically helped much in this case, but it might help with future issues.

Jay

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I see you're a partner member. You have access to a free download copy of my disease book. It wouldn't have specifically helped much in this case, but it might help with future issues.

Jay
Thank you I’ll check it out. I did find another fish dead as well that was eating the day before so now I’m puzzled. It was my royal gramma

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now all my fish are dead. Is there any possible way they could go from eating to dead in one night?

Sorry to hear! Are there invertebrates in the tank? Are they all o.k.? If so, this was most likely an undiagnosed parasitic infection. We were all focused on the angel's fins, but that was apparently just a symptom of a larger issue. Did you see rapid breathing in the fish before they died? If so, Amyloodinium (velvet) is well known to kill off fish within 24 hours of seeing rapid breathing.

Jay

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear! Are there invertebrates in the tank? Are they all o.k.? If so, this was most likely an undiagnosed parasitic infection. We were all focused on the angel's fins, but that was apparently just a symptom of a larger issue. Did you see rapid breathing in the fish before they died? If so, Amyloodinium (velvet) is well known to kill off fish within 24 hours of seeing rapid breathing.

Jay
All the coral in my tank look ok nothing is receding or bleaching. What I seen last night was my clowns swimming oddly at the top of the tank I couldn’t see if there was rapid breathing but my one green chromis was breathing heavy. Is there anyway to treat the tank so it’s safe for other fish to go in or should I wait?

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, heartbrake. I second sharkbait. Leave the tank fishless, starve the parasite & setup a QT for all in coming fish. Believe me, nothing better than QT. Plus the benefits of QT is that the fish get familiar to your presence. Maybe it’s just me but I tend to be more hands on with a QT than the main display & the more I test, WC, switch meds, feed, observe & tend to the fish in the QT, the more they feel comfortable around me. As opposed to the display where I enjoy it more from a distance. & in a QT you can throw everything at it & the kitchen sink. Good luck.

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, heartbrake. I second sharkbait. Leave the tank fishless, starve the parasite & setup a QT for all in coming fish. Believe me, nothing better than QT. Plus the benefits of QT is that the fish get familiar to your presence. Maybe it’s just me but I tend to be more hands on with a QT than the main display & the more I test, WC, switch meds, feed, observe & tend to the fish in the QT, the more they feel comfortable around me. As opposed to the display where I enjoy it more from a distance. & in a QT you can throw everything at it & the kitchen sink. Good luck.
Appreciate it. Ill have to get a QT setup in the next 2 months. The kids are heart broken and want fish now. SO it might be 6 weeks.

Back