Possibly flatworms and something else???

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my zoas seem as though they have suddenly started melting or just not happy. I dipped them today and found these critters that I'm not to sure about. I'm thinking the black ones might be flatworms but not to sure about the other ones. Any info would be appreciated thanks!!

Attachments

• 20220706_135031.mp4
    26.8 MB
  • 20220706_134758.mp4
    22.7 MB
OP
OP
S

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should've added they are both TINY. I had to use a magifinglass to see them and all the way zoomed in with the camera

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finally downloaded your video pffft hard work sometimes.
The 2 blackish looking things,yeah they look and act/swim/move like flatworms,which flatworms idk sorry,as you probably aware some no harm and some pests,if use a product like flatworm exit,try to siphon out as many as you can first then siphon up any dead ones as when they die they can release toxins and mess a tank up quick time.
You get like red planaria flatworms which ate photosensisis and can smoother corals stopping corals getting light .

Seen some other white thing dart across screen, at first looked like an ampripod with curved back but unsure sorry.looked like seen 2 little eyes like a tiny shrimplet/crab larvae maybe,but having trouble viewing your video,had to download multiply times and just problems lol.
It's often best to download to youtube then share the link here so we can watch just by pressing play,as downloading takes time and often get problems,I do anyway on phone,not sure why so much problem on r2r sharing videos but the admin aware off it and I think trying to improve so hopefully they get on it ^_^
Here some common hitch hikers,see if can id but from memory only got acoel flatworm and red planaria.
Goodluck and sorry can't be much help in id

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red planaria flatworms look like this.

Edit: sorry somehow posted these photos on wrong thread lol but will leave here anyway as both on about flatworm so cant harm right

Screenshot_20220706-231906_Google.jpg Screenshot_20220706-231916_Google.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant see ur vids. But if they are the common flat worms, get some nudis should do it.
I dont think they are the common flatworms. I'm familiar with them. Here is a picture doesn't really show them that good tho. They are tiny....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220706-151128_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220706-151128_Photos.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220706-151142_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220706-151142_Photos.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
S

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple more of the what I believe to be flatworms. I'm wondering if the other video I attached in the beginning might be some kind of isopod?

Attachments

• 20220224_150437.jpg
    20220224_150437.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220224_150616.mp4
    28.4 MB
OP
OP
S

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put the little bugs in the second video under a microscope but I still have no idea what they are. I'm hoping they are a type of pod. A bunch came off when I did a dip. Any help would be greatly appreciated because my zoas are kind of irrated. I am also battle dinos so that could be the problem also. I just got the microscope so I'm not good a getting videos so please bare with me.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put the little bugs in the second video under a microscope but I still have no idea what they are. I'm hoping they are a type of pod. A bunch came off when I did a dip. Any help would be greatly appreciated because my zoas are kind of irrated. I am also battle dinos so that could be the problem also. I just got the microscope so I'm not good a getting videos so please bare with me.
Sorry I'm just getting a spinning circle trying to load on your video,what most do is upload video to YouTube then share link here then anyone can watch at click off a button

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let know if it worked please
Yes worked perfectly.
Looks like some kind off ostracod. Never can remember how spell it lol.
@WheatToast correct me again in spelling off this or gove opinion on very last video posted ^_^
I say some kind off ostracod or copepod possibly

Screenshot_20220720-010744_Chrome.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let know if it worked please
Yes worked perfectly.
@WheatToast correct me again in spelling off this or gove opinion on very last video posted ^_^
I say some kind off ostracod

OP
OP
S

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes worked perfectly.
I say some kind off ostracod
Thank you!! That looks right but can't really find if the are bad or good for the aquarium. Would you happen to know?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! That looks right but can't really find if the are bad or good for the aquarium. Would you happen to know?
I'm quite limited on knowledge off them also like yourself, I know I've got at least 2 different kinds off ostracods or however you spell I lol
I've talked to few others and mainly most say beneficial to tank.
And what ive learned about these kind off little bugs is,where we see/ find them usually what they eat,like on glass/rocks/sand then eating detritus/algae/left over food and the likes,but if see them on corals then that's usually bad sign,mine are mainly in the sand and occasionally see them on the rocks but never corals.
But like any little bug and what it eats or can eat,will depend on the species, I haven't really found no good articles/guides in identifying them as far as I can remember.
Maybe wheattoast can give you bit off Info or even @vetteguy53081 is a brilliant source for much info.
( sorry tag you again,but I get impression you like to help and don't mind ) hoping so anyway ha ha

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostracods are not flatworm pests. Do they irratate Zoas? I don't think they have been identified as pests on any past posts I have read on here, so probably no, just hanging around in your tank and maybe cleaning up the dying flesh they are finding there?

OP
OP
S

Sallycarle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostracods are not flatworm pests. Do they irratate Zoas? I don't think they have been identified as pests on any past posts I have read on here, so probably no, just hanging around in your tank and maybe cleaning up the dying flesh they are finding there?
Thank you for the response, I had two videos of two different things I was wondering about but I'm assuming those videos didn't work either. The first one I believe is definitely a flatworm but the second video is what I was asking about again. I hope your right and they are just cleaning things up because I have a ton of them. Again thank you for the info....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back