Possum Wrasse and Berghia Nudibranches

Are Possum Wrasses Safe with Berghia Nudibranches?

• No, I tried them together and it wasn't ok

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BradVol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Berghia Nudibranches in the past for aiptasia and they worked great, but the problem eventually returned over a year later. I now have a possum wrasse and the info I've found on them is conflicting. I've seen articles say possum wrasses are not safe for the berghia but they seem to be common articles just providing a list. I've also seen at least one person say they were successful in having berghia with a possum wrasse. I'd rather not move him out of the tank if I don't have to. If you have first hand experience with that combo and whether or not it's likely to work please let me know.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
possum wrasse, even if smaller, is still a wrasse. i had a yellow banded before that eventually died but it only ate pods... i would assume the wrasse, if eats frozen/pellets/flakes, would see food within the nudibranch. i personally wouldn't chance it unless you got the nudi's cheap.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish is different. Joe blows fish might not have eaten berghia while Susie Q’s fish did. Some pitbulls eat small children, some love children and are very gentle and protective of them. If you’re looking for what you want to hear, that no that fish will absolutely positively not eat berghia, then read joe blows post. As Dirty Harry says, do you feel lucky?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Berghia Nudibranches in the past for aiptasia and they worked great, but the problem eventually returned over a year later. I now have a possum wrasse and the info I've found on them is conflicting. I've seen articles say possum wrasses are not safe for the berghia but they seem to be common articles just providing a list. I've also seen at least one person say they were successful in having berghia with a possum wrasse. I'd rather not move him out of the tank if I don't have to. If you have first hand experience with that combo and whether or not it's likely to work please let me know.
I had a tank full of wrasses when I added berghia to take care of a past aiptasia problem. The berghia did their job even with all of my wrasses. The trick is to add the berghia in the evening after the lights are off and your wrasse has gone to bed. Berghia are nocturnal they hunt aiptasia in the dark while your wrasse is sleeping and during the day the berghia are hiding in deep crevices making it difficult for predators to get to them. Your wrasse may get lucky on occasion and snag one that didn't hide well enough, but overall they should be fine as long as you initially add the berghia while it's sleeping.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add I've had Berghias with a Possum Wrasse. At first I thought he was eating them as they would disappear, but I found a big one 3-4 months later.

Back