Possum Wrasse + Sexy Shrimp

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had Sexy Shrimp in my nano with my Possum Wrasse for near 1.5 years now. I added 4 extra sexys today - very tiny. When I added them into the tank the possum wrasse started hunting and killing them! I fed the tank right away and turned the lights off as a last ditch effort to stop the carnage...

I really hope I did not just start the possum having a taste for the sexy shrimp. May be time to rehome the possum?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had Sexy Shrimp in my nano with my Possum Wrasse for near 1.5 years now. I added 4 extra sexys today - very tiny. When I added them into the tank the possum wrasse started hunting and killing them! I fed the tank right away and turned the lights off as a last ditch effort to stop the carnage...

I really hope I did not just start the possum having a taste for the sexy shrimp. May be time to rehome the possum?
How big is the possum?
They can hunt small shrimp once large but also I have seen sexy shrimp kill coral so you may find your possum is doing you a favour :)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had sexys for like 2 years now and they have never been a problem if well fed. If you dont feed every day and target feed them every once in a while, they will definitely start picking at corals though. I guess my possum finally got big enough that a tiny sexy is considered a meal. I think I all of them are still alive. I am not sure how... I literally saw the possum carrying one around in its mouth like a shark.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had sexys for like 2 years now and they have never been a problem if well fed. If you dont feed every day and target feed them every once in a while, they will definitely start picking at corals though. I guess my possum finally got big enough that a tiny sexy is considered a meal. I think I all of them are still alive. I am not sure how... I literally saw the possum carrying one around in its mouth like a shark.
It could just be because the possum saw it as food and I assume you broadcast feed, I have found when the shrimp go down to safety they often aren’t predated on and are often seen as good.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could just be because the possum saw it as food and I assume you broadcast feed, I have found when the shrimp go down to safety they often aren’t predated on and are often seen as good.
That may be what started it, but the possum kept hunting them throughout the day (to my horror). I woke up and they all dissapeared except the original 2. I see one in the back chamber. It’s possible all 4 new ones went back there.

my possum is 3” . My mistake was not feeding beforehand. Maybe should’ve introduced them at night also when the possum is sleeping .

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they’ll eat the little ones for sure. Gotta get the bigger ones. Mine ate 2 of 3 in the first day. Only the big on survived. Wish I would have known beforehand. And he’s only 1.5-2”.

But the possum wrasse (Pinocchio) is my favorite fish so no way I’d rehome him.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, ill try out those methods when I introduce them but Taco is the most docile fish in the tank and has never tried attacking anything. I even need to make sure that she gets enough food because the clowns eat it all.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be what started it, but the possum kept hunting them throughout the day (to my horror). I woke up and they all dissapeared except the original 2. I see one in the back chamber. It’s possible all 4 new ones went back there.

my possum is 3” . My mistake was not feeding beforehand. Maybe should’ve introduced them at night also when the possum is sleeping .
I hope the rest survive, good luck. Feeding beforehand and introducing at night seem like good ideas. A sexy shrimp wouldn't even be able to fit in Taco's mouth, I am most worried about my blue eye royal dottyback.

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, ill try out those methods when I introduce them but Taco is the most docile fish in the tank and has never tried attacking anything. I even need to make sure that she gets enough food because the clowns eat it all.

yeah this is exactly what I thought, he’s super docile and never messed with anything. But if they are small ones, my guess is that he’ll eat them.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Possum is now around 2.5-3" and full grown. It has lived with a bunch sexys near 2 years no problem. These ones I added must've been just small enough, the Possum was just hungry enough, and they were floating around the tank as a meal just right for him to eye them down. 6 months ago I doubt this wouldve happened.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they’ll eat the little ones for sure. Gotta get the bigger ones. Mine ate 2 of 3 in the first day. Only the big on survived. Wish I would have known beforehand. And he’s only 1.5-2”.

But the possum wrasse (Pinocchio) is my favorite fish so no way I’d rehome him.
Great name! I am at the same boat. I am actually trying to find a local hobbyist to trade for hopefully a juvenile again, or a pink streaked.

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great name! I am at the same boat. I am actually trying to find a local hobbyist to trade for hopefully a juvenile again, or a pink streaked.
Pink streaked are beautiful. That was my intention but I couldn’t find one. WWC had the possum for a great deal when I was passing through Orlando in 2021 and I snagged him.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasses are savage hunters. Mine loves to hunt at night and has decimated my worm and amphipods. Any time the lights are off but there may be ambient light in the room, I can walk over and it’s always out hunting while the other fish are down for the night.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasses are savage hunters. Mine loves to hunt at night and has decimated my worm and amphipods. Any time the lights are off but there may be ambient light in the room, I can walk over and it’s always out hunting while the other fish are down for the night.
Yes! Mine does the same thing! It wakes up before Sunrise to hunt, and typically takes a nap or two during the day when lights are going down. Let me see if I can find a closeup a fellow reefer took of a closeup of their mouth. Its like a little barracuda! Poor Sexys.. I hope all 4 made it in the back of the tank okay. I am just going to leave them there for a month or two to let them acclimate, and maybe get a little bigger! I guess if they found a way to get back there, they can somehow get back in the DT?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out guys!! This photo deserves an award.. Blen Reef

BC4FB689-1894-4161-BC95-DC5D909C8137.jpeg
BC4FB689-1894-4161-BC95-DC5D909C8137.jpeg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - the Possum would occasionally hunt one down. It was starting to get big for my tank anyway so I rehomed it and traded it for a Helfrichi Firefish along with a couple other corals. Eventually I found a juvenile pink streaked wrasse and added it in. It seems way more docile than the Possum wrasse, and for now a better fit. Could just be an age thing.

Back