Post on fish ban from Hawaii have a lot of fake news in them

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally biota had for 120 on their website a week ago

Biota increased the price from $120 to $200 shortly after the ban. Their response to the price increase is in post #75 here:

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post on fish ban from Hawaii have a lot of fake news in them

I'm surprised more people haven't checked the details on something like this...
Its shocking to see how quickly LFS and online stores were to rip us off. I hope they adjust their pricing as quickly as they blew them up! The fisheries actually asked for more regulation on the commercial fishing license that were not being renewed. Only 41 fisheries of the more than 3000 reported catching any fish. The environmental reviews and other concerns were rectified.... PLUS NONE OF IT HAS STARTED YET!!! Plenty of articles in the "Big Island Now" news-page. . from HI

"While the First Circuit Court’s ruling will again hinder aquarium fishers’ push to keep their industry viable in West Hawai‘i, it won’t do so immediately.

The court recognized in its ruling Friday that shutting off access to aquarium fishing immediately for those with valid CMLs would “…cause economic hardship to aquarium fishers, their families, employees, and vendors.”

Due to this consideration, fishers will be allowed to carry out the practice until their permits run out, which will happen one year after the initial issuance. At that point, the fishers will need to reapply and will be subject to new environmental regulations that put their permits in serious doubt.

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/12/01/...mental-ruling/
https://bigislandnow.com/2021/01/13/...ing-in-hawaii/

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/12/09/...hing-licenses/

The ban is immediate and complete. No commercial license for aquarium fish collection is valid regardless of prior extensions or “grandfathering”...period. No collection of marine life for aquarium trade sale is allowed for anyone. We can collect for personal use as always and without need for a license, and commercial fishing for other purposes is unaffected.

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't create the headline... and yes you are correct it's misleading unless the person "READS" the article. Which is why I shared them. I'm sorry you have chosen to be a contrarian .... but that's not at all what it's saying.... the people paying for their license to fish are tired of the 2900 other fisher-people getting to fish for free. No limits have been set they only need to RENEW their license and send in an updated review of the environmental report... which according to other articles is pretty easy to obtain.
That is an old article. The situation has changed.

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply and demand. It all starts with the exporters. If they put out less they’re gonna charge more and then the wholesaler and so on. If there were hordes of yellow tangs out there for sale no one would be able to charge the ridiculous prices we see on divers den and elsewhere. It’s at the source and they would probably like to not have to sell YTs for 100-150$

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply and demand. It all starts with the exporters. If they put out less they’re gonna charge more and then the wholesaler and so on. If there were hordes of yellow tangs out there for sale no one would be able to charge the ridiculous prices we see on divers den and elsewhere. It’s at the source and they would probably like to not have to sell YTs for 100-150$
Lol 500$ is them stealing money from people. You think the demand is at people willing to pay 500.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol 500$ is them stealing money from people. You think the demand is at people willing to pay 500.
A yellow tang or any fish or coral is not a necessity for anything in life. Therefore, it is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. They are not stealing money from people. Charging hundreds of dollars for life saving medicine is stealing money from people.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an old article. The situation has changed.
I can't wait to do that ride in your avatar. Haleakala is on my bucket list. Last time I was there the Big Island had just gotten 18 inches of snow on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. They were so beautiful from up there.

OP
OP
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The ban is immediate and complete. No commercial license for aquarium fish collection is valid regardless of prior extensions or “grandfathering”...period. No collection of marine life for aquarium trade sale is allowed for anyone. We can collect for personal use as always and without need for a license, and commercial fishing for other purposes is unaffected.
Come on at least attempt to share the complete article. The 41 fisheries that asked for the regulation ALREADY HAVE THE EIS AND THE REVIEW. Those companies that DID NOT HAVE VALID LICENSE ARE THE ONES THAT NEED TO PAY THE FEE AND TURN IN AN UPDATED EIS REVIEW.

IM NOT TRYING TO ARGUE WITH ANYONE... YOU CAN BELIEVE WHAT EVER YOUR HEAD TELLS YOU. BUT IF ANYONE READS ANY OF THIS WITH THE MINDSET OF I DONT KNOW EVERY FREAKING THING THEN MAYBE IT CAN BE A TOPIC OF CONVERSATION... OTHER THAN THAT.... DO YOU!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210208-211016.png
    Screenshot_20210208-211016.png
    429.9 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow tang or any fish or coral is not a necessity for anything in life. Therefore, it is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. They are not stealing money from people. Charging hundreds of dollars for life saving medicine is stealing money from people.
On a different note... I humbly disagree with the medication reference.. their are people out there that are brilliant... Able to create pharmaceuticals that absolutely keep people alive.. These companies that hire them have an obligation to their shareholders. If these companies have the funds to pay these people for their knowledge, skills and abilities then they should pay them. And we in turn must pay the price to stay alive. I don't know anyone facing a morbid condition that could save themself

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% this. Having been in the retail side of the hobby for many years and currently having access to 2 of the biggest wholesalers in Los Angeles, It's a huge leap to blame the LFS and online stores. The WHOLESALE price of Hawaiian fish has dramatically increased. It is not the seller's fault, they are in the business to make a profit, not hold peoples hands.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a different note... I humbly disagree with the medication reference.. their are people out there that are brilliant... Able to create pharmaceuticals that absolutely keep people alive.. These companies that hire them have an obligation to their shareholders. If these companies have the funds to pay these people for their knowledge, skills and abilities then they should pay them. And we in turn must pay the price to stay alive. I don't know anyone facing a morbid condition that could save themself
This is very true, but there are laws in place to stop gouging in medicine. Countries all do it differently, but we all have laws in place to help people get the medicine they need to live.
I work for a couple of hotels in a very small town. We get over 300 dollars a night for a basic hotel room. Are they worth it? In my opinion, no. But they sell out nightly. I am constantly turning people away. At the same time I can get a room for someone who is stranded for next to nothing. If it is not a necessity, it is worth as much as some one is willing to pay. You can buy a F350 for around 60 grand. If you are a farmer or rancher or someone who needs it, you get to write it off on your taxes so it is considerably cheaper, whereas the average person doesn't get to do that. All of my hobbies are expensive. I spend more on Fly Fishing than I do on reefing. I actually moved to another state and took a 50% pat cut to be able to fish in the greatest trout waters in the world. I am happy I did it.

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was someone here who ordered $5000 worth of fish due to the HI fishing ban (and lost all of it when they added it all at the same time to the tank. Of course the tank crashed).
As I recall the reason they lost the fish had to do with a sea cucumber that died, not so much the fact that they had added so many fish. It was a large set up and the fish they bought were expensive.

aquariumworks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then who's ripping us off?
The wholesalers, the LFS or both?
As a reseller I can’t honestly answer this question...
On the wholesale front yellow tangs have been unavailable or extremely over priced.
I have to wonder if it’s the source?

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can see how an LFS— or just people in general— could get that impression from the first two headlines you linked to:

Court Effectively Ends Aquarium Fishing In West Hawai’i With Environmental Ruling

Judge Bans All Aquarium Fishing In Hawai’i

Not to be contrarian, but if your point is that ‘the factory won’t stop making toilet paper until NEXT week,’ I think people will start stocking up now, no? Just sayin’ .
I know coral fish in pearl city Oahu now has to import all fish they sell.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% this. Having been in the retail side of the hobby for many years and currently having access to 2 of the biggest wholesalers in Los Angeles, It's a huge leap to blame the LFS and online stores. The WHOLESALE price of Hawaiian fish has dramatically increased. It is not the seller's fault, they are in the business to make a profit, not hold peoples hands.
So are fish still being exported from Hawaii or is there a total ban?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back