Post on fish ban from Hawaii have a lot of fake news in them

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to this ban coral fish (lfs) on Oahu sold yellow tangs for $30 (caught wild). I think in my opinion captive bred is where the price hike comes from.
This is correct...live in Hawaii and just left LFS today and there was only raised prices for Hippo Tangs and other fish that were imported. LFS can sell "imported" fish all day but anything from Hawaii waters is a no-go! Bought 2 Yellow Tangs that were the last my LFS had about a month ago. Nothing now. No Flame angels, Yellow Tangs, Potters Angels, and such where before the LFS was full of them and they'd ship them to the states. I think it sucks but they are a bit crazy here some folks are at least about the fish/environment which is strange cause you see the tourist tearing up the reefs and beaches all the time! What hypocrisy to a degree.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct...live in Hawaii and just left LFS today and there was only raised prices for Hippo Tangs and other fish that were imported. LFS can sell "imported" fish all day but anything from Hawaii waters is a no-go! Bought 2 Yellow Tangs that were the last my LFS had about a month ago. Nothing now. No Flame angels, Yellow Tangs, Potters Angels, and such where before the LFS was full of them and they'd ship them to the states. I think it sucks but they are a bit crazy here some folks are at least about the fish/environment which is strange cause you see the tourist tearing up the reefs and beaches all the time! What hypocrisy to a degree.
Have you seen the study on what sunscreen does to coral reefs. The amount of damage it creates is insanity

Danny Babko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can see how an LFS— or just people in general— could get that impression from the first two headlines you linked to:

Court Effectively Ends Aquarium Fishing In West Hawai’i With Environmental Ruling

Judge Bans All Aquarium Fishing In Hawai’i

Not to be contrarian, but if your point is that ‘the factory won’t stop making toilet paper until NEXT week,’ I think people will start stocking up now, no? Just sayin’ .
100%! Thank you exactly what I was thinking! The limited, unattainable will always have high value because of supply and demand. It’s common sense. Otherwise every business that sells product with a x3 and above profit margin is technically “ripping” people off.

Oz_Puffy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed but just giving insight into the decision. It’s no surprise. Banning sunscreen though... not sure that’s done elsewhere.
Yep, they’re definitely not the first, just the first US state. But they, nor the other places in the world with “sunscreen bans” have actually banned sunscreen. All they have banned is sunscreens containing Oxybenzone and octinoxate, two chemicals that have been linked to damaging corals. There are brands that don’t contain it. They’re just the first US state to follow the science that suggests those chemicals may harm the reef, and have moved to protect the reef by banning sunscreen with those specific chemicals. So not too radical at all in my opinion

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

michael23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in asia, most if them did have liesen , but instead of report catch 1000 fishes, they report 100. Same technic apply to coral.blue tang in sabah almost can"t see now aday. I do agree ban for a while until population is gain back or report that show YT is s increase after stop exporting rather then the other way round to prove they export according permit. Too many dark area in this process. Do you think that we contribute ?If yes why coral we buy like doughnut become smaller and smaller and much more expensive? As my self in this hobby for 3 year, i dun know how much coral and fish(more then 20 fish) die until i have more knowledge to stable the tank.

Last edited:

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am I wrong I did read you can still Spear fish a adult yellow tang as long you eat it ?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back