Post pics of your fish, invert propagation systems along with phyto/food culturing stations.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well Title says it all.. I am getting back into breeding fish but want to focus more on inverts than fish. I am planning a whole new system which will be very large. It will contain a section for fish, one for inverts like shrimp, stars and snails, another section for coral and sponges, another section for marine algae, amphipods, copepds, etc. I am also setting up a section for foods like phyto, rots, brine shrimp, copepods etc.

I would love to see peoples setup with as much details you can give..

By the way would it be nice if this was not just a fish breeding forum. People now a days are breeding more than just fish.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently breeding Banggais in my DT so I've got BBS hatching daily and am also keeping a culture of blackworms going for my CBB. Eventually I'd like to start phyto and pods as well as other types of fish and inverts.
20180704_141008.jpg

The Banggais breed in the DT and when it gets close to time for the male to release the babies I put in several fake sea urchins.

DSC03217.jpg

Once they're released I carefully collect all that I can find and put them in a breeder net box. Then I keep them in there till they get a bit bigger and transfer to a 10 gallon.

20180709_114639.jpg

Pictured above is my first batch, they're eating frozen food now. Just waiting for them to grow out a bit more before I find them homes. I've planned out a legit breeding system for cardinals but have yet to build it.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently breeding Banggais in my DT so I've got BBS hatching daily and am also keeping a culture of blackworms going for my CBB. Eventually I'd like to start phyto and pods as well as other types of fish and inverts.
20180704_141008.jpg

The Banggais breed in the DT and when it gets close to time for the male to release the babies I put in several fake sea urchins.

DSC03217.jpg

Once they're released I carefully collect all that I can find and put them in a breeder net box. Then I keep them in there till they get a bit bigger and transfer to a 10 gallon.

20180709_114639.jpg

Pictured above is my first batch, they're eating frozen food now. Just waiting for them to grow out a bit more before I find them homes. I've planned out a legit breeding system for cardinals but have yet to build it.
Very cool. How are you culturing blackworms? I was under the impression that you cant keep up a culture because they dont reproduce quickly or something.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. How are you culturing blackworms? I was under the impression that you cant keep up a culture because they dont reproduce quickly or something.
Thanks. I definitely have less than I started with so I'm not sure if I'll have to replenish it. It's hard to tell how many I have in there. From what I read you just feed them some pellets and change the water once a week and they're reproduce by segmentation, getting broken up by the substrate and growing back either the head or tail. But it seems like the worms I have here will eat several pellets every day if I put them in. They swarm all over them till it's gone. I also read that if the culture isn't growing fast enough you can take them all in a pile and cut them in half with a knife to cause them to regrow heads and tails to produce more worms. But I've only been keeping the worms for about 3 weeks so we will see. But even if I'm just keeping them alive over there and I have to buy them from time to time it's worth it to me. Very little work and the CBB and Banggais go crazy for them.

And I meant to also include these pictures. They were sold as blackworms maybe they're not? They're not black.

20180705_192926.jpg

20180705_192910.jpg

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back