Potassium Iodide should be added to which of the 3 part solutions?

alexandre4100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I never had the colours I wanted in my corals, so I decided to perform an ICP test. The only big gap was Iodine, so I started dosing RF Potassium Iodide manually. Just 2 drops per day and It made a HUGE difference!

My dosing pumps have 3 part dosing (AF Components Pro) and Vodka.

I'm goint for vacations, and I need to start dosing Potassium Iodide automatically. May I add it to the solution 1 (KH), 2 (Ca) or 3 (Mg)? Or can't be mixed?

Alexandre Motta

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be OK in all, but it is for sure compatible with the calcium or magnesium parts.

The only concern with any type of high dilution followed by "storage" is oxidation to iodate by oxygen. This is still an OK additive, and is detected by ICP, but may need to be converted to iodide before organisms take it up. FWIW, iodate is the main form in seawater, with iodide a secondary form, but it is more bioavailable.

Let's us know if iodine dosing shows any difference, since I'm not convinced it is generally useful. :)

OP
OP
alexandre4100

alexandre4100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be OK in all, but it is for sure compatible with the calcium or magnesium parts.

The only concern with any type of high dilution followed by "storage" is oxidation to iodate by oxygen. This is still an OK additive, and is detected by ICP, but may need to be converted to iodide before organisms take it up. FWIW, iodate is the main form in seawater, with iodide a secondary form, but it is more bioavailable.

Let's us know if iodine dosing shows any difference, since I'm not convinced it is generally useful. :)
Tks!!! :)

I am going to add Potassium Iodide to Mg part. At least for my 3 week vacations.

In my little experience, I believe that Iodine made some effect maybe because it was a huge lack? ICP results:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tks!!! :)

I am going to add Potassium Iodide to Mg part. At least for my 3 week vacations.

In my little experience, I believe that Iodine made some effect maybe because it was a huge lack? ICP results:
Do you feed nori at all? That could be a difference between "normal" tanks and yours.

OP
OP
alexandre4100

alexandre4100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed nori at all? That could be a difference between "normal" tanks and yours.
Yes, but... Only once per week. Should I give more Nori to my fishes, and as a (good) side effect expect the iodine level to raise?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but... Only once per week. Should I give more Nori to my fishes, and as a (good) side effect expect the iodine level to raise?
Nori is supposed to be a source of iodine. Feeding more might help but im not sure.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back