Potassium Sorbate or Potassium Permanganate Dips for Brown Jelly?

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently read this article that said Polyp Lab's Reef Primer (made of "potassium salts") was effective in treating brown jelly disease via his trials with a microscope.

This food prep store in my neighborhood sells a ton of interesting chemical compounds that you don't normally see in stores. The ones which caught my eye for potentially helping my brown jelly torches were Potassium Sorbate or Potassium Permanganate. What are your thoughts on these as potential dipping agents for brown jelly torches? Has anyone ever used either of these for reefing?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently read this article that said Polyp Lab's Reef Primer (made of "potassium salts") was effective in treating brown jelly disease via his trials with a microscope.

This food prep store in my neighborhood sells a ton of interesting chemical compounds that you don't normally see in stores. The ones which caught my eye for potentially helping my brown jelly torches were Potassium Sorbate or Potassium Permanganate. What are your thoughts on these as potential dipping agents for brown jelly torches? Has anyone ever used either of these for reefing?
The author was careful to state that the product reduced the number of ciliates.
He also states to cause of bjd is unknown.
If the ciliates contribute to mortality of bjd, then the product might help. If not, then you are just killing the scavengers on already dead tissue.
I could not find the type of potassium salt in reef Primer or the concentration.
Maybe just try reef primer?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The author was careful to state that the product reduced the number of ciliates.
He also states to cause of bjd is unknown.
If the ciliates contribute to mortality of bjd, then the product might help. If not, then you are just killing the scavengers on already dead tissue.
I could not find the type of potassium salt in reef Primer or the concentration.
Maybe just try reef primer?
I'm trying to take a more focused approach to knocking out brown jelly and was looking to experiment with chemicals that had some proven success

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide or iodine dips? Some specific fish med dips might work too. Might not kill the coral, but might off other things. Has to be either a prolong dip or remove some inverts from tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back