Potential fish list

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ill start by saying the list im providing, i have done 0 research on each species and will 100% be doing research on each species before making a final decision

But i wanted a order in which these fish would be added so i can research 1 at a time and decide wether or not its suitable for me and the setup ive got or not,

So the list is
Watchman goby
Foxface
Yellow tang
Royal gramma
Maybe a flame angel
Blenny
Copperband butterfly fish
Longnose butterfly
Raccoon butterfly
Reef butterfly
Damsel
Fire fish
Mandarin goby (one day)
Moorish idol
Blue star leopard wrasse

Again i havnt done research so if you guys can just help with the order i would put thim in, so i can start my research it would be greatly appreciated

My tank is 85 gallon
And i have 2 clowns already

Thank you

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new reefer myself, all I can say is do as you intend, research the crap outta the fish on your list. I have yet to add fish to my first system, so take my advice for what it is. You will get plenty of more knowledgeable responses I’m sure, but this is my take.....
Moorish Idol - asking for heart break in your first system, super picky eaters at the least
Copperband - kinda the same boat as the Idol. Expert level fish
Mandarin Goby - Another fish with very particular dietary needs and a mature system
Most of the rest of the fish are quite likely manageable for reefers of our caliber. Though I would maybe question the number of larger fish you intend on looking into. There may be certain compatibility issues that I’m not aware of.
Great job seeking advise before pulling the trigger on any major livestock investments. You want to be able to provide the best living conditions for the entire group of animals you plan to care for. Keep researching and asking questions. Others will chime in. You are off to a great start!

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ill start by saying the list im providing, i have done 0 research on each species and will 100% be doing research on each species before making a final decision

But i wanted a order in which these fish would be added so i can research 1 at a time and decide wether or not its suitable for me and the setup ive got or not,

So the list is
Watchman goby
Foxface
Yellow tang
Royal gramma
Maybe a flame angel
Blenny
Copperband butterfly fish
Longnose butterfly
Raccoon butterfly
Reef butterfly
Damsel
Fire fish
Mandarin goby (one day)
Moorish idol
Blue star leopard wrasse

Again i havnt done research so if you guys can just help with the order i would put thim in, so i can start my research it would be greatly appreciated

My tank is 85 gallon
And i have 2 clowns already

Thank you
I’d love to help you out with the order but to be frank it can’t be done until you research these fish. Many of them will need to be taken out since they are difficult to keep, and so many of these grow too big for an 85 gallon. Right off the bat I’d eliminate the moorish idol, yellow tang (unless it’s a baby with a clear tank size upgrade in near future), butterflies (all), leopard wrasse. Haha sounds bad but I’d tell you that you basically can’t keep any of those fish in that tank except for basically a blenny, yellow watchman, Firefish and mandarin (eventually is agreed).

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that 10 is probably about the max you should have. Also wouldn't add more than 1 a month or so. Even then hiding places and territory may be an issue so research each fish before adding. I have a 2 year old 90 gallon and only have 8 fish.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree a new list is in order. Good luck OP! Feel free to ask any questions.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s quite a lot of fish for an 85.

The Foxface, Yellow Tang, Copperband, Raccoon, Longnose, And Moorish Idol (notoriously hard to keep) will outgrow the tank. Maybe the Yellow Tang, or even the Copperband will grow more slowly but IMO both do best in tanks 100+ gallons. People do keep the smaller Zebrasoma Tangs in 90-95 gallon tanks and some have done it for 10 or even 20+ years but that’s borderline okay.

I don’t see a problem with the rest. If you want a larger angel, maybe a Watanabei, Spotbreast, or Bellus? Get a female and get it not too big. Or maybe a Singapore or Xanthurus Cream Angel? The latter’s much easier to have than the Singapore.

Fairy and Flasher Wrasses would work well. Hawkfish. Basslets. Shrimp gobies. Cthenochaetus / Bristletooth Tangs except the larger ones like the Chevron. Marine Betta would be another option if you have the patience of getting it to eat.

Damsels- Some Chrysiptera and Pomacentrus damsels would be best. Many species among these aren’t too aggressive and the blue varieties maintain their colors. Talbot’s, Rolland’s, Tracey’s etc.

Which “Reef Butterfly” are you talking about? Is it C. Sedentarius? You could also consider a Roaps subgenus butterfly. Burgess is the cheapest, there’s also Mitratus, Declivis, and Tinker’s (not sure if they’re still available after Hawaii ban).

Ask @pcon for butterfly related questions.

A Sunburst Anthias would also be a good addition if you can find a healthy and eating specimen.

Last edited:

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 2 clownfish a blenny and watchman gobie fine to start with ?
Aggresion wise
That’s ok depending on how long you cycle but i would take my time. I would only first add the clown pair then waiting a couple of weeks for the next addition. I good rule of thumb is to definitely not double bioload within any single month to allow for the nitrifying bacteria to build itself up to support the livestock and increased feeding that accompanies the livestock additions.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to keep the very smallest of the Ctenochaetus tangs. I have one in a much larger tank. My tangs are quite active and use every inch of my 300 gallon. Other fish tend to pick a spot and hang out at or near it.

For other fish suggestions: cardinals like a Bengai cardinal, dartfish like the fire fish, royal gramma, a small reef safe wrasse would work.

I agree with the others about 10 fish at max.

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys again lol after a heap of research i realised how silly my stocking list looked haha

So new list
Tell me what u guys think

2 clowns
1 bicolour blenny
1 royal gramma
4 yellow striped cardinals
A one spot foxface
And a tomini or kole tang

And after i build up copepod population

Hopefully a mandarin goby

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d take out the Foxface and maybe consider a smaller Roaops butterfly or dwarf angel. IMO you could do a pair of a smaller species like the Cherubs, Flamebacks, Coral Beauty etc. long as the tank is at least 4ft long. OrionN has a trio of Flameback Angels in his 65 gallon.

Roaops- Tinker, Burgess, Mitratus, Declivis.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back