Potential Stocking List (And Order Of Addition) For A 180G Mixed Reef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

I've been building my 180G mixed reef tank set up and it is finally cycling! So now my thoughts are on my potential stocking list and order of addition. :) Let me know what you guys think about my potential list; any potential worries that should be brought to my attention and potential changes to order of addition. Feel free to throw in any other recommendations as well. :) I love learning about new potential fish. Thanks!

-I started with 4 Bangai Cardinalfish that are currently in quarantine.
-Pods to seed population & help tank ecosystem
-4 Zebra dartfish (or a fire goby) not sure?
-2 Ocellaris Clownfish (I really love lightning maroon clowns but unsure about being able to pair them?)
-Clean Up Crew (Scarlett Shrimp, skunk shrimp, snails)(maybe emerald crab?)
-Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp
-Yellow Eye Kole & White Tail Kole Tang
-Purple & Desjardini Sailfin Tang
-Melanurus, Halichoeres or Mystery Wrasse (not sure which?)
-More CUC (snails if desired, small hermits)

MAYBE LIST:
-Valentini Puffer (I love these guys but I know they can be hit or miss with being reef safe) Better to add early on or after having lots of corals/inverts to see if it is compatible?
-Powder Brown Tang (still space?)
-Convict Tang (still space?)
-Pink Tuxedo Urchin (not sure if he will be cool or a nuisance from what I've read? Lol)
-Copperband Butterfly (I Know they are considered expert because of feeding and timidness) Also had a thought about if one of these would be better to add early on so there is less going on in the tank; or better to add later on so that nothing changes as much once its in there?)
-Flame Hawk Fish (Just because maybe)
-Sargassum or Blue Jaw Trigger (Risky but cool? Would be last)

Do I need more fish? Less fish?? All the fish????

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any red flags with the list.
* Dartfish - make sure you have a lid.
* Copperband - get a smart one that's already eating. If it hasn't figured out how to eat yet, pass.
* Valentini puffer - don't mix with a bicolor cleaner wrasse; the latter will kill it.
* Cleanup crew - add spiny astrea snails, ring cowries, nassarius snails, orange lip conches, trochus snails, blue leg, scarlet and halloween hermit crabs and a few tuxedo urchins.

More fish? Anything's possible. I have 33 and counting in my 160-gallon, including a sailfin tang, quoy's parrotfish, marine betta and four angels.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any red flags with the list.
* Dartfish - make sure you have a lid.
* Copperband - get a smart one that's already eating. If it hasn't figured out how to eat yet, pass.
* Valentini puffer - don't mix with a bicolor cleaner wrasse; the latter will kill it.
* Cleanup crew - add spiny astrea snails, ring cowries, nassarius snails, orange lip conches, trochus snails, blue leg, scarlet and halloween hermit crabs and a few tuxedo urchins.

More fish? Anything's possible. I have 33 and counting in my 160-gallon, including a sailfin tang, quoy's parrotfish, marine betta and four angels.
Lid wise; a screen top is still okay for the dartfish? I know they are kind of slim.

I'll check out all those cleanup crew critters! :) Thanks!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly your list looks fine. I'd skip the toby only for the sake of coral and inverts. Some are fine and some are awful. My old tobies both liked taking holes out of fins as well (valentini and solandri).

I'd also skip the mystery and the melanurus, unless absolutely set on them. Mystery get pretty mean, as do melanurus (and my melanurus ate all my snails).

There are a lot of other Halichoeres that are just as colorful and are much better behaved.

Look into H. timorensis, H. iridis, H. chrysus, H. melasmapomas, H. biocellatus, and H. chrysotaenia. You could even keep a couple of them in this size tank.

If this was my system, I'd also consider adding a few chromis or anthias, and some other wrasses as well (fairies, flashers, possibly leopards, tamarins, and pencils as well if you can find healthy specimens).

I tend to stock my tanks heavily though...

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly your list looks fine. I'd skip the toby only for the sake of coral and inverts. Some are fine and some are awful. My old tobies both liked taking holes out of fins as well (valentini and solandri).

I'd also skip the mystery and the melanurus, unless absolutely set on them. Mystery get pretty mean, as do melanurus (and my melanurus ate all my snails).

There are a lot of other Halichoeres that are just as colorful and are much better behaved.

Look into H. timorensis, H. iridis, H. chrysus, H. melasmapomas, H. biocellatus, and H. chrysotaenia. You could even keep a couple of them in this size tank.

If this was my system, I'd also consider adding a few chromis or anthias, and some other wrasses as well (fairies, flashers, possibly leopards, tamarins, and pencils as well if you can find healthy specimens).

I tend to stock my tanks heavily though...
Awesome! I'll look into all those different wrasses. :) I haven't been completely set on a specific one yet. Are they all just as helpful/effective at eating potential coral pests?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'll look into all those different wrasses. :) I haven't been completely set on a specific one yet. Are they all just as helpful/effective at eating potential coral pests?
Any of the Halichoeres are excellent for pest control, and Macropharyngodon normally will do the same (except for pyramid snails on clams).

I have a timor and a radiant (iridis) in my 75 gallon. Amazing fish and highly recommend them both.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back