Potential Tankmate for Purple Firefish in 10 Gallon reef tank

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there my fellow aquarists. I am new to the saltwater hobby, but I have been keeping freshwater tanks for almost 10 years now. I have a 10 gallon tank and here is a list of my current inhabitants:
1 Purple Firefish
1 Lettuce Nudibranch
1 Nassarius Snail
1 Anemone Shrimp
2 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
~5 Dwarf Cerith Snails
Bam Bam Zoanthid Frag
White Zombie Zoanthid Frag
Fire Goblins Zoanthid Frag
1 Pink Hammer Coral
1 Bird's Nest Coral
1 Bryopsis Frag
1 Pencillius Macroalgae

I have been doing some research on whether or not I should even add another fish to my current setup. My top contender right now is a Citron Clown Goby since they don't really get that big. I am also considering adding a piece of cultured live rock to create an arch that would bridge my two separate pieces of live rock so I am worried about space for the Clown Goby to swim around. Please leave any opinions and considerations, all of which will be greatly appreciated!

20201020_160905.jpg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there my fellow aquarists. I am new to the saltwater hobby, but I have been keeping freshwater tanks for almost 10 years now. I have a 10 gallon tank and here is a list of my current inhabitants:
1 Purple Firefish
1 Lettuce Nudibranch
1 Nassarius Snail
1 Anemone Shrimp
2 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
~5 Dwarf Cerith Snails
Bam Bam Zoanthid Frag
White Zombie Zoanthid Frag
Fire Goblins Zoanthid Frag
1 Pink Hammer Coral
1 Bird's Nest Coral
1 Bryopsis Frag
1 Pencillius Macroalgae

I have been doing some research on whether or not I should even add another fish to my current setup. My top contender right now is a Citron Clown Goby since they don't really get that big. I am also considering adding a piece of cultured live rock to create an arch that would bridge my two separate pieces of live rock so I am worried about space for the Clown Goby to swim around. Please leave any opinions and considerations, all of which will be greatly appreciated!

20201020_160905.jpg
A small goby of any type would work. I am partial to Green Banded Gobies. They are small and entertaining to watch.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy you're gonna have to enlighten me
I placed it in there for my Lettuce Nudibranch so that it could have a reliable source of food. I trimmed it down pretty low so that it is less likely to spread before I placed it in my substrate. But as soon as I see any of it spreading I plan on removing the plug and letting the Lettuce Nudibranch just clean up the tank. I know it seems pretty backwards to add nuisance algae :/

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is your budget? If it's bigger, I'd recommend something like a tiny cardinalfish (Apogon ostorhynchus, the red spot cardinalfish is one of my faves!!). Trimma and Gobiodon gobies are also pretty neat.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is your budget? If it's bigger, I'd recommend something like a tiny cardinalfish (Apogon ostorhynchus, the red spot cardinalfish is one of my faves!!). Trimma and Gobiodon gobies are also pretty neat.
I checked all of them out and the cardinal fish look really cool in schools but how many would you recommend I keep in my current set up?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked all of them out and the cardinal fish look really cool in schools but how many would you recommend I keep in my current set up?
That depends on your water change schedule! With any small schooling fish (neon tetras, danios, etc., including the smaller saltwater fish), I try to aim for groups of 8+. I feel that the adage of "you need 6" underestimates how many fish you actually need. But, remember that with more fish, you have more waste, and thus need to change water accordingly.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back