Potentially sick clownfish

nicksw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my clownfish hasn’t eaten for the past 3 days. Usually one of my most active / social fish, she now just hides under some live rock for the majority of the day. Appears to be breathing faster with periodic large breaths / gasps. Had our local fish shop test our water and all came back clean. Usually switch between pellets and flakes and occasionally mysis and brine shrimp when I feed our corals, none of which are interesting to the clownfish now.

Short video attached for reference. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    29.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my clownfish hasn’t eaten for the past 3 days. Usually one of my most active / social fish, she now just hides under some live rock for the majority of the day. Appears to be breathing faster with periodic large breaths / gasps. Had our local fish shop test our water and all came back clean. Usually switch between pellets and flakes and occasionally mysis and brine shrimp when I feed our corals, none of which are interesting to the clownfish now.

Short video attached for reference. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The yawning behavior the clownfish is showing can be a sign of gill disease, often flukes.
In addition to the water quality info, what other fish are in the tank and are they showing any symptoms?
Do you have a treatment tank available?

The fish not feeding for 3 days needs to be corrected ASAP.

Jay

OP
OP
N

nicksw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The yawning behavior the clownfish is showing can be a sign of gill disease, often flukes.
In addition to the water quality info, what other fish are in the tank and are they showing any symptoms?
Do you have a treatment tank available?

The fish not feeding for 3 days needs to be corrected ASAP.

Jay
Thanks, Jay. Relatively new to this (tank is about 8 months old) and I don’t have water quality info other then I was told the water parameters look good after being tested at my local fish store yesterday.

I have another smaller clown fish that was introduced about a month ago, fire fish goby, red dragonet, and a lawn mower blenny. None of them are showing symptoms that I can see and they are all eating.

I have a separate five gallon tank that I have used for quarantining and can get setup quickly again if necessary as a treatment tank. I’ll set it up tonight and looks like I should try a freshwater dip and potentially Pazipro? Is it critical to treat all fish? I’m not confident in my ability to catch any fish except the clownfish.

Thanks again,
Nick

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can safely dose your tank with prazipro: dose it for net capacity (actual water volume) 2x, 8 days apart with good aeration. If you don’t see an improvement in the clownfish by 48 hours after the first dose, something else is going on.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back