POTO Team Outing with the 17000-Gallon Reef Tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pieces of the Ocean

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every year at POTO, we take the team out for enrichment and team building. We skipped last year for obvious reason but this year we were treated to an outing at the now famous 17000-gallon reef aquarium at Andrew's (aka @Hedgedrew on R2R).

group-back_d848be36-0df6-4c5a-a584-84970a3707cd_600x600.jpg

This was a satiating rare fish galore. You name it, it was there. Troops of masked angelfish (Genicanthus personatus), true lanceolatus fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lanceolatus), Hawaiian deepwater anthia (Odontanthias fuscipinnis), Centropyge narcosis, conspicuous angel (Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus), Oreni tilefish (Hoplolatilus oreni), "ghost" bandit angel (Holacanthus arcuatus), and the one and only Picasso Desjardini sailfin tang. I wish I could photograph them all but the whole time I was just soaking in all the eye candy.

Picasso Dejardini Sailfin Tang in Andrew's 17000-Gallon Tank

Andrew has been a long time hobbyist. His depth of knowledge in reefing was apparent when we sat down and talked reef over salad and pizza. One of the many things we all learned that day was that the livers of regal angel and lennardi wrasse can literally melt from copper, rendering them nearly impossible to treat and quarantine. ;Bookworm

Terminal Phase Femininus Wrasse

Through many setbacks with leaks, delays, and equipment failures, what we see today is a project 6 years in the making. And when we arrived, it was around the same time the tank was ready to finally accept stony corals after over a year of running. And we were able to bring Andrew a few of our POTO Signature colonies to stretch their branches in this beast of a tank.

But will he quarantine his corals? You bet. Andrew strives to do everything right as he takes his time. His quarantine operation is equally extensive. Our acros, despite being aqua-cultured, will undergo a 6-week observation and quarantine behind the scene before being added.

Enjoy a few more photo highlights of our little outing.

Accidental Scribble/Blue Line Angel Hybrid

Pair of Conspicuous Angelfish

Quoyi Parrotfish

Wrought Iron Butterfly

Sweetlips

kenny_dc07ac5a-0ce2-4c21-b982-19662ffd401f_600x600.jpg

group-front.jpg

Ending the night with some Korean BBQ ;Drool
kbbq_600x600.jpg

odnavres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“One of the many things we all learned that day was that the livers of regal angel and lennardi wrasse can literally melt from copper, rendering them nearly impossible to treat and quarantine.”

awesome tank!
I would have to disagree with that statement as I have treated a few regal angels with copper. All my fish are prophylactic treated with copper prior to going into my system.

vgliha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always love the Friday videos Andrew posts in the BRStv Facebook group of his tank (if I remember the group correctly). It's breathtaking to see as video. I can't imagine how amazing it looks in person!!

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing!
That's bigger than my house! Trying to envision buying lots on either side of me, converting my current house into a tank that size... I could still almost have a yard.... I'd probably have to sell children I don't have and organs I can't spare... but in a dream who needs either... right?

OP
OP
Pieces of the Ocean

Pieces of the Ocean

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“One of the many things we all learned that day was that the livers of regal angel and lennardi wrasse can literally melt from copper, rendering them nearly impossible to treat and quarantine.”

awesome tank!
I would have to disagree with that statement as I have treated a few regal angels with copper. All my fish are prophylactic treated with copper prior to going into my system.

Interesting! Andrew did say he after a few unsuccessful attempts he had a vet dissect the fish to which they found the liver to be in a state that attributed to this finding.. That's why he said he uses CP instead copper on them.

odnavres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Andrew did say he after a few unsuccessful attempts he had a vet dissect the fish to which they found the liver to be in a state that attributed to this finding.. That's why he said he uses CP instead copper on them.
Yeah never had a problem with copper if kept at therapeutic levels and don’t go too high with it. CP I have issues with because it’s immunosuppressive. So my fish would developed bacterial infractions more readily. CP works best in case of an emergency when you have an outbreak and need to control it right away.
Anyways I love seeing massive reef tanks. Always amazes me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back