OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c.jpg

Filling has commenced. While a little uncomfortable filling a tank that isn't plumbed to anything, it's such a long endeavor that I need to get it going.

It's a beast! Fortunately I had my old ATO line to the basement, so I am just pushing RO through that into the tank.

I also just ordered some noise deadening material to pack the studways with around the drain pipes so my wife's office on the other side of the wall is quieter. Happy wife, happy life!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through and started following your build. I am excited to watch it come alive!

Also, I don't know why but whenever I see posts by you around the site I cannot help but to hear music like this... hhhmmmmm...

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through and started following your build. I am excited to watch it come alive!

Also, I don't know why but whenever I see posts by you around the site I cannot help but to hear music like this... hhhmmmmm...

Ha!
If I had his music, I would need more sound deadening material!

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent some time today with my livestock who are passing their January in my basement. I had moved two tangs who were having fin issues to my QT along with a popeyed Anthias. However, the NH4 is not being handled in this tank with the biofilter or water changes (bad) and the tangs look much better. So.....perhaps they were getting harassed by someone before the move? Regardless, out of the QT they came and back into the 120 they went. Too much tang for that tank!

I'll keep the anthias alone in the QT and see we can get his eye back to normal.

The 120 now has an MP40 running, 2 Hydra 26s, Alk being dosed and ATO on it. I may drop my AFS on it as well, then we will be pretty automated!

Work plan for this week end involves putting a waterproof enclosure on my fishroom primary outlets, installing vent fan, soundproofing the drains, initializing APEX modules, and sorting / fragging my 120 coral and rock so I can send most of it to its new owner. May need to mix up some saltwater as well.

In other news, filling continues...

The 'scape, which I can't really photograph well without tank lights and in mid-fill, is pretty low. Definitely didn't use all the rock we ordered. We created a nice valley, a good SPS Ridgeline, and a taller structure. Hopefully when covered with corals it works out nicely.

This Tuesday I'm putting FRP behind the tank to manage splashes. Will probably even caulk the tank/wall joint.
Questions:
Do I keep my large leather coral? Softie in a land of SPS?
Any "I wish I'd done this" things I take care of?

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my fishroom I have both a sewer ejector sump, and a traditional sump that pumps to my backyard. Since salt and chemicals should go to the sewer, I think I'm going to route my RO Waste Water there too to flush the ejector pit of all this saltwater. Another alternative would be to punch a 1/4" AWC line into my sewer pipe and avoid the ejector pit entirely for that volume potentially decreasing corrosion of the ejector pump- however that seems a bit hard to do elegantly and would leave a hole when we move out someday. Thoughts?

1. Daily Auto Water Change (Salt) Sewer
2. Trident Reagents Sewer
3. Periodic Water Changes (Salt) Sewer
4. Skimmer Waste Sewer
5. RO Waste (Fresh) Sewer (for flushing)
6. ATO/RO Overflows Yard
7. New Salt Water Overflows Yard (rare)

Also, I have traditionally run my skimmer into a waste collector with shut off sensor. In this setup, I can go direct to a drain (avoids having to dump it) but prevents rigging a shutoff it it overflows. Any votes on
a) Waste Container
b) Drain direct
c) Waste Container with automated pump or value to drain?

Here is a picture of the sound deadening material installed behind the drain pipes:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d.jpg

New vent for the moist / hot air over the tank - runs to the right outside. My wife was very graceful as this was being installed in her nicely decorated family room.... #reefatyourownrisk
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e.jpg

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know something exciting is coming when UPS and Fedex aren’t up to the task. Picked up my MRC gear today from the freight station. Minivan I borrowed was packed to the gills. This stuff is insane, beautiful, shockingly heavy and finally resting in my garage.

651F7A59-D2F8-4394-BDB5-873B1A5F9DD8.jpeg
Sump has integrated UV. I just didn’t have enough space to handle the traditional format. Work of art. Need to figure out how to fit the rollermat to the right of the UV units.
C41E1658-9403-48D6-A0A4-35DA50054694.jpeg
Fuge.
9A550D8E-52B7-480C-AC23-D22CF584D1A1.jpeg
Sink. Hey, it matches!
66146C4B-BE99-4209-A51C-E66AA1133912.jpeg 2CD52AD7-D595-4C14-B7C8-CB12A9EECF17.jpeg AF754932-757A-4F72-90C8-60BE8E846692.jpeg

If it’s worth doing it’s worth doing to excess!

Last edited:
OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the CADS Cloth 600 rollermat. While I loved the orangish plexiglass placards, they didn’t make the team.

It is a very sturdy unit with a legit motor on it. I’ve got it temporarily installed. Seems to be a good option for a larger system.

The last three days have been a blur. Despite having to go to work, Mark and I have been busy. As the Navy taught me, the day has 24 hours. You should feel free to use them all...

The system is in and water is recirculating. Leaks have been prosecuted and dispatched. Much cutting, drilling, lifting. Temperature is rising, salt this afternoon and probably some fish will enter this weekend. Pictures to follow.

451A8723-4381-4671-96B6-AD9DA6F49340.jpeg C7D21131-708F-4B2B-9EBC-910E83D4C800.jpeg

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the CADS Cloth 600 rollermat. While I loved the orangish plexiglass placards, they didn’t make the team.

It is a very sturdy unit with a legit motor on it. I’ve got it temporarily installed. Seems to be a good option for a larger system.
451A8723-4381-4671-96B6-AD9DA6F49340.jpeg C7D21131-708F-4B2B-9EBC-910E83D4C800.jpeg

Nice color switch!

Is that knob or gear end or whatever it is sticking out of the motor unit stainless steel?

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The last three days have been a blur. Despite having to go to work, Mark and I have been busy. As the Navy taught me, the day has 24 hours. You should feel free to use them.

The system is in and water is recirculating. Leaks have been prosecuted and dispatched. Much cutting, drilling, lifting. Temperature is rising, salt this afternoon and probably some fish will enter this weekend. Pictures to follow.

Any info on this unit would be appreciated. Any photos of it installed? Price? The website didnt show much. Is it made from white PVC or acrylic? Thanks

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any info on this unit would be appreciated. Any photos of it installed? Price? The website didnt show much. Is it made from white PVC or acrylic? Thanks

it is made from pvc and appears solid. The handle on the gear motor is plastic. I will post pictures of it running tonight. It’s in a plastic tub temporarily. I will get a nice pvc tray made for it. Water enters via your plumbing in the top. Drains out of the bottom of it so it either needs to drain right into sump or into a tray.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it is made from pvc and appears solid. The handle on the gear motor is plastic. I will post pictures of it running tonight. It’s in a plastic tub temporarily. I will get a nice pvc tray made for it. Water enters via your plumbing in the top. Drains out of the bottom of it so it either needs to drain right into sump or into a tray.
Thanks I'm super curious. Outside of Royal exclusiv I'm not sure who builds a bigger one for larger tanks.

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'm super curious. Outside of Royal exclusiv I'm not sure who builds a bigger one for larger tanks.
It was comparable to the RE Vlies both in size and cost. However the form factor of the Vlies wasn’t going to work for this layout.
It’s a commercial focused unit - not enclosed, beefy, I think will be good for this application.

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting as in the pics it looks metal.
That piece was a clear plastic splined shaft that the handle mates to. The motor is a valve actuator motor that has a manual control handle. The handle can be used to tighten the roller but is mostly irrelevant except it locks the gear train in place.

Back