Pouting Mushrooms

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several mushroom colonys and only my four rhodactis mushrooms are pouting. It started about when the weather started getting colder. Temp is 79. All my other coral is fine. I have other kinds of mushrooms that are awesome and zenia and duncans and brains and all are fine. T-5 lighting, 46 gallons. Water tests great. I have done water changes and nothing will bring these out of it. They are not melting just pouting and will not open. For months they got 3 to 4 inches around and awesome. Then one day wont open and just the rhodactis variety. Thanks

OP
OP
V

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rhodactis are full colonys not singles. There is 10 to 15 mushrooms on each rock and the whole colony on 4 different colonys are pouting, but all my other mushrooms are awesome. Its just wierd that only rhodactis mushrooms are doing this not other kinds.

OP
OP
V

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though you can control the temp I still believe that the weather can cause coral to pout. I had a mushroom colony last year do this for a couple months then one day they was awesome. I use kent salt and kent additives. Ive taking care of my tank with the same products for years. So when this happens I know its something out of my control. I have mainly softies so doing to many water changes can be harmfull. Its just wierd I use the same water, salt and additives for years with awesome corals and then one day out of nowhere several colonys start pouting. I do water changes the same every month with the same water. You watch next month they will be awesome again.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back