Powder Blue Tang Brushing Against Rocks

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my powder blue tang who I have had for about 2 weeks now stated brushing against a rock in my tank when swimming past it as if he is itching himself on it. Is this a sign of ich? Should I treat the tank with Ich X to prevent other fish from getting it? I have no corals. Tank is 2 months old and all parameters are where they should be

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a freshwater dip and observe could possibly be flukes. Personally I would treat with copper power then ATI General cure.

Diet Coke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my powder blue tang who I have had for about 2 weeks now stated brushing against a rock in my tank when swimming past it as if he is itching himself on it. Is this a sign of ich? Should I treat the tank with Ich X to prevent other fish from getting it? I have no corals. Tank is 2 months old and all parameters are where they should be
I am definitely not an expert but scratching is is a sign of ich

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip is an easy first step diagnostic to eliminate or confirm flukes as the cause of the flashing. Plus, it gives you time to get ready to treat if ich or velvet is the cause as it gives temporary relief (it removes some of the parasites) from parasites already attached to the fish.

SEAN REILLY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, as there is nothing about watching a prized "Wet-Pet" in Distress!......As stated, could be Flukes....Or the very start of Ick (Gills are attacked first, due to No Protection (Like Body Has, Slime Coat, Scales) But as Stated, Start Treatment ASAP!......As the LAST THING you want, is the Tang to continue Scratching itself right into a Secondary Bacterial Infection from damage from the Scratching!.........Can you see any signs of the Telltale Salting off ICK Oxocysts anywhere on the Tang?.......Any Heavy Gill Respiration? Or Flaring of the Gill Plates Themselves??.......I know it Sucks, but if the Fish is/was otherwise Healthy....Then you have a good shot of Pulling it through this......Freshwater Dip ( If you CAN catch it WITHOUT OVERSTRESSING the Fish will knock off just about every Parasite from the Gills/Body ) ........Then Meds....

Good Luck!
-Sean

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do NOT see any white spots or any signs of an infection so far. Breathing is normal, gills are normal. That's what is so weird to me. I had Ick in my other tank but they never flashed, the white spots were just noticeable one day. As of this morning, I saw ZERO signs of anything on anyone in the tank and everyone seems healthy and eating. Tanks mates are:

2 Occelaris
Copperbanded Butterfly
One Spot Fox Face
Yellow Tang
Coral Beauty
I would do a freshwater dip and observe could possibly be flukes. Personally I would treat with copper power then ATI General cure.
Do you see any white spots on him
A freshwater dip is an easy first step diagnostic to eliminate or confirm flukes as the cause of the flashing. Plus, it gives you time to get ready to treat if ich or velvet is the cause as it gives temporary relief (it removes some of the parasites) from parasites already attached to the fish.

Sorry, as there is nothing about watching a prized "Wet-Pet" in Distress!......As stated, could be Flukes....Or the very start of Ick (Gills are attacked first, due to No Protection (Like Body Has, Slime Coat, Scales) But as Stated, Start Treatment ASAP!......As the LAST THING you want, is the Tang to continue Scratching itself right into a Secondary Bacterial Infection from damage from the Scratching!.........Can you see any signs of the Telltale Salting off ICK Oxocysts anywhere on the Tang?.......Any Heavy Gill Respiration? Or Flaring of the Gill Plates Themselves??.......I know it Sucks, but if the Fish is/was otherwise Healthy....Then you have a good shot of Pulling it through this......Freshwater Dip ( If you CAN catch it WITHOUT OVERSTRESSING the Fish will knock off just about every Parasite from the Gills/Body ) ........Then Meds....

Good Luck!
-Sean

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do NOT see any white spots or any signs of an infection so far. Breathing is normal, gills are normal. That's what is so weird to me. I had Ick in my other tank but they never flashed, the white spots were just noticeable one day. As of this morning, I saw ZERO signs of anything on anyone in the tank and everyone seems healthy and eating. Tanks mates are:

2 Occelaris
Copperbanded Butterfly
One Spot Fox Face
Yellow Tang
Coral Beauty
Good advice above. As Big G mentioned, it could be flukes. Can you catch the tang for a freshwater dip?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes are very small and translucent while alive. Very difficult to see on the skin of a fish. And they don't usually leave a mucous spot (that's the white spot you see from Ich/velvet) on the skin. It's amazing sometimes while doing the FW dip how many flukes fall off the fish. Use a dark bucket it makes seeing the flukes bodies easier as they turn white and are about the size of a small sesame seed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back