Powder Blue Tang Eyes

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two thin white lines protruding from the center of my new powder blue tang's eyes, one on each eye, directly from the center. I have no idea what this could be. Tang seems otherwise normal. I don't know how long this has been there, I had thought it was just highlights from the lighting.

What is it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like the result of flukes. Give it a freshwater dip in a clean and preferable dark bucket for 5 mins at the same temperature as the display tank.
Return it to the tank. Look on bottom of bucket looking for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you can see that- its flukes. If not, go for treatment using ethromyacin (maracyn 1)

OP
OP
E

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the result of flukes. Give it a freshwater dip in a clean and preferable dark bucket for 5 mins at the same temperature as the display tank.
Return it to the tank. Look on bottom of bucket looking for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you can see that- its flukes. If not, go for treatment using ethromyacin (maracyn 1)
So I just gave the powder blue a freshwater dip, but now it's eyes look blurry.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I just gave the powder blue a freshwater dip, but now it's eyes look blurry.
Anything in bucket as mentioned?
Treat with maracyn1 by Mardel

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two thin white lines protruding from the center of my new powder blue tang's eyes, one on each eye, directly from the center. I have no idea what this could be. Tang seems otherwise normal. I don't know how long this has been there, I had thought it was just highlights from the lighting.

What is it?

I can tell you what that is, but not why it is. Those are points of mucus due to some irritation. The fish looks really good in other respects. Neobenedenia flukes more typically cause generalized eye cloudiness and inflammation, plus you will see some "tattering" of the fins and skin, the fish will just look "worn".

How long have you had the fish and how was it quarantined?

Here is a link to an article I wrote of fish eye health:

Here is a link to an article on fish mucus:

Jay

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back