Powder Blue Tang Suffocating w CP/PraziPro!

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily @Humblefish

Hello everyone, I added a new fish in a heavily stocked qt tank and started copper power and prazipro according to directions.

Turned off skimmer and removed carbon too. Now my powder blue tang is suffocating it seems like. All other fish seem ok. Should I do a large water change?

What did I do wrong? Water is cloudy but I don’t think its a bacterial bloom. Why do bacterial blooms occur with this med mix? I moved him to my friends tank right away.

Powder blue tangs are this sensitive to low oxygen? Crap I love this fish. He is from Bali and strong as an OX. I hope he recovers.

Anyone please let me know what I did wrong. I followed the QT directions on your sticky thread.

image.jpg

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a good idea to dose both at once. Turn the skimmer on asap and do a big water change if you want any hope of saving him. I cant tell if the spots are from the container or not but if hes covered in spots he may have velvet.

If he doesnt have any spots, and does pick back up then dont add any medications, wait for him to start eating and looking healthy and then start with copper first, do the full treatment, then remove copper and do prazi. Thats the best way imo.

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ick/velvet. Was Treating a new fish prophylactically.

Okay I will do a large water change. Turned on skimmer but it is overflowing so just took cup off. Getting water ready with IO, will take a while to dissolve. Other fish seem fine but the PBT reacted very badly to this mix of meds! I don’t think bacterial blooms happen this quickly do they? Or does prazipro strip oxygen from the water?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a powerhead breaking the surface? That’s a must, especially if mixing meds. Oftentimes fish have damaged gills and can die shortly after severe infections as well. Acanthurus tangs and especially PBT and Achilles can be particularly difficult. Good luck.
Water change may help.

If the water is cloudy it could be a bacteria bloom consuming all of the oxygen which is particularly frustrating because it leads to this as well. It’s often accompanied by an awful smell. You have to do seemingly daily water changes to keep ahead of it and redose constantly.

Large QT batches were my biggest failures.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing meds is a no no. Some will make stronger, weaker, or even react. If you don't know its not good. See many cases on here with troubles involved in that. If the med is in water long enough and high enough dose it can cause bacterial bloom. More so with the liquid prazi cause it uses a solvent I think. Basically carbon dosing. Yes that will lower O2. Best bet water change, wait some time to recover. Then start one or the other if you even need to. Also did you use ammonia reducer additive, that is a no no with copper.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back