Powder Blue/White Cheek Hybrid Help- pics

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me ID this issue?

Ordered on Divers Den, came in clean looking. Observed in QT for 2 weeks (no treatment). Eating Algae Sheets and picking meaty foods from the rock and sponges throughout the day, not when I actually fed.

Introduced to main tank 2 days ago. Established tank inhabitants- small yellow tang, pair of medium sized skunk clown, vloriks wrasse, tail spot blenny. 120 gallon 6' tank.

White spots surrounded by circles. It's the outlines around the white spots that are confusing me. Doesn't quite look like ich that I have seen, but don't rule it out. I'm not a disease expert.\

https://imgur.com/sLx0n5K
https://imgur.com/raRnt9K
https://imgur.com/2AZpP05
https://imgur.com/4uzQ9Sm

Thanks,
Ben

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might also add that my fish from divers den come with velvet and other parasites frequently, and it often doesn’t show up for about two weeks due to low amounts of copper the fish was likely subjected to.

I would ALWAYS treat porphylactially

I can’t tell much from the photos either?

How long have the spots been in one place?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BenitaSolo

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He spots appeared this morning. It’s been a about 6 hours since I noticed them. Unfortunately I have company from out of town in so i haven’t been observant.

As far as I can tell the spots have not moved.

Interesting about the duration and problems that arise after the fish is no longer in the copper. Shouldn’t the copper have irradiated the issues?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He spots appeared this morning. It’s been a about 6 hours since I noticed them. Unfortunately I have company from out of town in so i haven’t been observant.

As far as I can tell the spots have not moved.

Interesting about the duration and problems that arise after the fish is no longer in the copper. Shouldn’t the copper have irradiated the issues?
If you didn’t treat the fish for 30 days in fully therapeutic copper or CP then you didn’t cure the fish of ich or velvet as well, unfortunately.

The low levels of copper LFS and distributors use is to keep the fish alive and the parasite from taking over — it doesn’t eradicate them.

OP
OP
BenitaSolo

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.
I’ve been in the hobby for a few years now but until recently haven’t been ‘QT’ing’ fish. Trial by fire. I didn’t realize a fish could come into a clean system, look clean for two weeks, then show signs of a disease or parasite.
Can you briefly explain why/how this is possible?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t realize a fish could come into a clean system, look clean for two weeks, then show signs of a disease or parasite.
Can you briefly explain why/how this is possible?

Most parasites/worms invade the gills (out of sight) before showing symptoms on the fins & body. Also, it is difficult (but not impossible) for parasites to penetrate any fish with a thick mucous coat (e.g. wrasses, clownfish, mandarins). Thirdly, a fish's natural immune system is able to repel parasites and other diseases. However, just how effective it is in doing so varies greatly from fish to fish and their diet/environment also comes into play.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back