Powder brown swollen lips in QT

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am a little over 1 week into quarantine. It started off looking healthy and I thought it would be an easier QT....ha!

My QT is 2 weeks of copper power and medicated food. Then 14 days of observation treating anything that pops up.
Normally I do GC, focus, and frozen for medicated food but this time and am feeding new life spectrum ick shield. I was thinking that powder browns are ick magnets and this might be a better route. (I could have gone wrong here).

Yesterday I noticed rapid breathing and what appeared to be a fluke on powder brown so I dosed prazi and added air stone. Hello bacterial bloom. This morning still rapid breathing but lips are red and swollen. Is this an injury or something more nefarious like uronema? It's eating and picking at nori.

Other QT mates are nebulous wrasse and sleeper banded goby.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally this is associated with parasites, low oxygen or flukes. Many tangs also like to pick in the substrate and even run off with a couple pieces is sand or rock.
Do note also as I mentioned oxygen that prazi does reduce both oxygen and appetite for occupants

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally this is associated with parasites, low oxygen or flukes. Many tangs also like to pick in the substrate and even run off with a couple pieces is sand or rock.
Do note also as I mentioned oxygen that prazi does reduce both oxygen and appetite for occupants
I added an air stone do you think a 2nd is warranted?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth does look like the fish was startled and ran into something. I didn't realize Ick Shield was still on the market. Does it still list Chloroquine as the active ingredient? Oddly, non of my formularies give an oral dose for chloroquine - only in-water baths. Does your food list an expiration date?

Jay

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth does look like the fish was startled and ran into something. I didn't realize Ick Shield was still on the market. Does it still list Chloroquine as the active ingredient? Oddly, non of my formularies give an oral dose for chloroquine - only in-water baths. Does your food list an expiration date?

Jay
I have had it a while however expiration is November 2021. Does still list it in ingredients too. Any concerns with running that and copper power?

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_123112354.jpg
    IMG_20210301_123112354.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210301_123104367.jpg
    IMG_20210301_123104367.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 32

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it a while however expiration is November 2021. Does still list it in ingredients too. Any concerns with running that and copper power?
Sorry, I’ve never used chloroquine orally, and haven’t used it as bath with copper, so I can’t offer any advice on that.
Jay

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this guy stopped eating the day after this and he passed tonight. I don't think it was related to his mouth, it still looked about the same. I think he had a pretty heavy flukes in his gills. He continued to breath rapidly even with second airline bubbling. Other QT fish are doing okay and no rapid breathing. He was a beautiful fish and the Powder Brown is now my favorite fish. I look forward to finding a healthy one and a successful quarantine. Thanks for all your help!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to hear. Distress in marine fish is a matter of thoroughly identifying the issue, cause and then acting quickly to turn it around. The problem in marine captivity is that ich looks like brooklynella, velvet6 looks like ich, fungus looks like bacteria, etc.
For the future, not saying the fish was sick, but to assure you get a good fish:
At the store:
-Examine the fish's skin
- Observe its breathing
- See how it interacts with other fish in the tank
- Put your hand up to to the tank and it should dart away (indicates fish is alert and lethargic)
- Ask to see it eat (even bring your own food and ask them to feed it to fish. It should eat or at least show interest in food)

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Distress in marine fish is a matter of thoroughly identifying the issue, cause and then acting quickly to turn it around. The problem in marine captivity is that ich looks like brooklynella, velvet6 looks like ich, fungus looks like bacteria, etc.
For the future, not saying the fish was sick, but to assure you get a good fish:
At the store:
-Examine the fish's skin
- Observe its breathing
- See how it interacts with other fish in the tank
- Put your hand up to to the tank and it should dart away (indicates fish is alert and lethargic)
- Ask to see it eat (even bring your own food and ask them to feed it to fish. It should eat or at least show interest in food)
Thanks for the kind advice, it's nice to hear these tips. I have quarantined all my fish and follow the same protocol each time. I was eager to get this fish and honestly if I had looked longer at him I maybe would have seen what I think is flukes...even then I think I would have still purchased it but just done some things differently. (Dips, starting GC off the bat, etc.)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back