OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why ask for advice if you've already decided what you're going to do.
Because that's what forums are for. I was not asking for permission to add a CBB, I was asking for advice on successes.

Which btw mine looks to be a success now. Its been 6 weeks and the CBB looks perfectly healthy and seems to be eating well now.

I can ask you a similar question. Why post on a thread if you have nothing useful to add?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have witnessed with my own eyes many tanks that have successfully integrated both copperband and PBT.

However my Powder brown tang is super aggressive.

So far the copperband is alive. And actually looks very healthy. I do see it exploring some. Mostly at lights out.
I also see it eating something. Nibbling at rocks/sand and also nibbling after I add live brine.
I think it helps that my tank is very mature at almost a decade. I really have not had any issues keeping expert level fish.
IE my green mandarin is about 8 years old or so.

I didn’t see it eating anything meaty with my own eyes when I throw in the thawed clam/squid/shrimp/mussel mixture.

During lights on it’s mostly in its corner. Where the tang seems to ignore it. When it ventures out I saw the tang bully it back into its corner.
The trap should be coming in on Wednesday.

Will continue to monitor til then. Most likely will try to trap the tang for a few days if the copperband still looks ok.
These guys will squabble and it does die down to nothing in time.
Regarding both impossible to have together, here is mine:

1647897462144.png

Here they are eating together:

1647897514625.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys will squabble and it does die down to nothing in time.
Regarding both impossible to have together, here is mine:

1647897462144.png

Here they are eating together:

1647897514625.png
I will say it’s a powder brown not a powder blue but actually, the two tangs are basically identical to eachother.

But, other than that, how big is your CBB, **** size did you get him at and how long have you had him for?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will say it’s a powder brown not a powder blue but actually, the two tangs are basically identical to eachother.

But, other than that, how big is your CBB, **** size did you get him at and how long have you had him for?
Got mine at 3+ inches now a bit over 5”

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With what I see from your post you have a minimum of 8 years of experience?

Why are you asking any of us what to do? It should be apparent by now...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update after a while.
The CBB is still alive and kicking. It appears to be very healthy and is not scared at all anymore of the PBT.
Good to hear a success story! Those CBB's are so fickle, but I love it when it works out. I've only had one last more than a month and it would even eat frozen. It dropped dead out of the blue with what I suspect was uronmea.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With what I see from your post you have a minimum of 8 years of experience?

Why are you asking any of us what to do? It should be apparent by now...
Not sure if this post is in jest or if your just that type of person.

I have over 30 years of experience in this hobby. And in all those years of experience one thing I learned is that you can still always learn more. I hope one day you will figure this out as well.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this post is in jest or if your just that type of person.

I have over 30 years of experience in this hobby. And in all those years of experience one thing I learned is that you can still always learn more. I hope one day you will figure this out as well.
It was primarily in jest; but also wondering why you're asking such a basic question after this much time in the game? Just for something to do or were you honestly at a loss (that's not meant as a jab or anything)?

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was primarily in jest; but also wondering why you're asking such a basic question after this much time in the game? Just for something to do or were you honestly at a loss (that's not meant as a jab or anything)?
I primarily asked looking for advice from people who have had personal experience with these 2 types of fish together, and who has successfully kept a CBB with a PBT.
Looking to learn from their experiences. And I did get some great advice. Like possibly using a trap for the PBT for some time, or a mirror. Also about the masstick for the CBB, which I am still feeding about once a week.

In all the years I have been keeping reef tanks I personally have never kept both of these types of fish in the same aquarium before. And this is my very first CBB. I have had several types of tangs over the years.
I did expect some aggression but what I experienced was very bad aggression.
Fortunately the CBB got through it and is doing great now.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool success story.

It's a shame the thread is littered with people who can't be bother to read past the first post to understand that the problem has been solved. It's obvious that they CAN read, since they did read at least the subject line.

Congrats on your healthy fish, and thanks for posting a thread that's quite useful for other folks who may wind up in similar situations. I too have been in the hobby for a long time, but I've never tried keeping these two species simultaneously.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I primarily asked looking for advice from people who have had personal experience with these 2 types of fish together, and who has successfully kept a CBB with a PBT.
Looking to learn from their experiences. And I did get some great advice. Like possibly using a trap for the PBT for some time, or a mirror. Also about the masstick for the CBB, which I am still feeding about once a week.

In all the years I have been keeping reef tanks I personally have never kept both of these types of fish in the same aquarium before. And this is my very first CBB. I have had several types of tangs over the years.
I did expect some aggression but what I experienced was very bad aggression.
Fortunately the CBB got through it and is doing great now.

Awesome! That's great to hear!

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool success story.

It's a shame the thread is littered with people who can't be bother to read past the first post to understand that the problem has been solved. It's obvious that they CAN read, since they did read at least the subject line.

Congrats on your healthy fish, and thanks for posting a thread that's quite useful for other folks who may wind up in similar situations. I too have been in the hobby for a long time, but I've never tried keeping these two species simultaneously.
Thanks!
I don't like to keep my threads hanging without any resolution or outcome. Whether it be good or bad. So I do like to occasionally check in and update. For others that may find it helpful.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I don't like to keep my threads hanging without any resolution or outcome. Whether it be good or bad. So I do like to occasionally check in and update. For others that may find it helpful.
It's incredibly helpful when people come back to close the thread. Makes the whole discussion useful. I will keep this thread in mind if I ever try keeping these species together.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW

I would definitely make an effort to afford the cbb opportunity to eat from something that the other fish can't easily get to (like was referenced earlier with the pvc capped and holes drilled into it). CBB are very slow eaters and it will likely die in a few months if left to only eat when you feed your other fish (regardless of how well it appears to be eating).

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW

I would definitely make an effort to afford the cbb opportunity to eat from something that the other fish can't easily get to (like was referenced earlier with the pvc capped and holes drilled into it). CBB are very slow eaters and it will likely die in a few months if left to only eat when you feed your other fish (regardless of how well it appears to be eating).
I've had the CBB for about 6 months now. At this point I feel confident its eating fine.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my CBB. Appears healthy and no signs of parasites but doesn’t eat mysis ect.. I’m trying the pvc cap and so far everything besides the CBB discovered it lol

Attachments

• 342732E1-A59C-4C7F-88D5-A0D06CB7BBFC.jpeg
    342732E1-A59C-4C7F-88D5-A0D06CB7BBFC.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DFF8F0F9-479F-4C1C-94B1-004B2B27D2F5.jpeg
    DFF8F0F9-479F-4C1C-94B1-004B2B27D2F5.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only since March so not a super long time , seems to be eating something off rocks
My CBB is constantly picking on the rocks and sand bed. I also see it picking on the masstick. When I feed the fish I do see the CBB squirm around and twitch but its hard to notice when its actually eating.
My food is a mixture of squid/shrimp/mussels/clam. And when I feed the pumps/skimmer shut down except for my main return pump which is set to 30% during feedings.

Back