Powder Brown Tang help

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Ich? It was fine yesterday and noticed this evening it looks awful.

IMG_20190620_184308.jpg

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get some eyes on it. Part of me says more than ich but I'm not the expert.
I agree. Looks more like velvet I think.
I don’t remember where or who said it but I remember seeing that if there’s more white spots than you can count it’s likely velvet instead of ich.

Can you catch it and every other fish to QT?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that's more likely to be velvet.. sorry but if you dont act fast it will most likely be dead within 48hrs. Powders are difficult if you are inexperienced with them.

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Looks more like velvet I think.
I don’t remember where or who said it but I remember seeing that if there’s more white spots than you can count it’s likely velvet instead of ich.

Can you catch it and every other fish to QT?

I imagine I'll have to drain the tank in order to catch them all.

I say ich..... stressed out probably. How long have you had it?

I've had it for about 6 months. I recently added 14 blue green chromis and a sailfin blenny that I purchased online. The blue green chromis arrived with Uronema. I treated them for 2 weeks with metroplex and then observed for 2 weeks before adding to my DT. It's been 1 week since I added them to DT.

The spots look pretty big, too big for velvet, unless they are "clumps" of velvet spots. A less blurry picture would really be great.

Looking a lot worse...

IMG_20190621_054529.jpg
IMG_20190621_054742.jpg

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine I'll have to drain the tank in order to catch them all.

I've had it for about 6 months. I recently added 14 blue green chromis and a sailfin blenny that I purchased online. The blue green chromis arrived with Uronema. I treated them for 2 weeks with metroplex and then observed for 2 weeks before adding to my DT. It's been 1 week since I added them to DT.

Looking a lot worse...

IMG_20190621_054529.jpg
IMG_20190621_054742.jpg
That stinks. He looks to be pretty much a goner. If you haven’t already started treatment in QT it’s probably too late.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures helped: that's velvet.
5 min freshwater dip to remove as many parasites as possible
Immediately follow with a bath in Ruby Reef Rally or another acriflavine product. This step is important. RRR has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that will help with infections from the numerous wounds
Then into a tank with CP or quickly ramp up copper like Copper Power with in 24 hours to therapeutic levels of 1.75-2.0 ppm and hold for at least 14 days at therapeutic and then into a fresh clean QT or continue to hold in QT with copper for 30 days.
Also dose kanaplex for infection in the CP or copper QT.

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures helped: that's velvet.
5 min freshwater dip to remove as many parasites as possible
Immediately follow with a bath in Ruby Reef Rally or another acriflavine product. This step is important. RRR has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that will help with infections from the numerous wounds
Then into a tank with CP or quickly ramp up copper like Copper Power with in 24 hours to therapeutic levels of 1.75-2.0 ppm and hold for at least 14 days at therapeutic and then into a fresh clean QT or continue to hold in QT with copper for 30 days.
Also dose kanaplex for infection in the CP or copper QT.

PBT didn't make it. I'm inspecting my other fish and not seeing any signs. I'm assuming I should try to catch them all and transfer them to QT and treat? It's a 250 gallon tank and about 30 other fish. I think I would have to drain it to catch the rest of my fish.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT didn't make it. I'm inspecting my other fish and not seeing any signs. I'm assuming I should try to catch them all and transfer them to QT and treat? It's a 250 gallon tank and about 30 other fish. I think I would have to drain it to catch the rest of my fish.
The problem we are running into lately is that the velvet parasites are attacking inside the gills, unseen. By the time you see the spots on the skin, the gills are pretty badly damaged. So on top of the waves of parasites, the fish are experiencing bacterial infections from the numerous insertion points of the parasites. Sorry. BTW, Spectrogram has helped with the bacterial infections a bit better than just Kanaplex.

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem we are running into lately is that the velvet parasites are attacking inside the gills, unseen. By the time you see the spots on the skin, the gills are pretty badly damaged. So on top of the waves of parasites, the fish are experiencing bacterial infections from the numerous insertion points of the parasites. Sorry. BTW, Spectrogram has helped with the bacterial infections a bit better than just Kanaplex.
Thank you for your help. Do you recommend Chloroquine Phosphate over copper? I'm searching online for it and reading it's not safe for anthias and wrasse. I have anthias, wrasse, gobies, blennies, chromis, and yellow tang.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help. Do you recommend Chloroquine Phosphate over copper? I'm searching online for it and reading it's not safe for anthias and wrasse. I have anthias, wrasse, gobies, blennies, chromis, and yellow tang.
Yep, that's correct. For your mix of fish Copper Power (not Coppersafe) would be my choice. CP's advantage is that it goes directly to therapeutic level unlike chelated coppers where you ramp up the dosage over time. And as you have experienced, sometimes you don't have time. CP is also difficult to get as you need a prescription from a vet to get the real stuff.

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's correct. For your mix of fish Copper Power (not Coppersafe) would be my choice. CP's advantage is that it goes directly to therapeutic level unlike chelated coppers where you ramp up the dosage over time. And as you have experienced, sometimes you don't have time. CP is also difficult to get as you need a prescription from a vet to get the real stuff.
I've located a local shop where I can purchase Copper Power. I'm going to see if they have Spectrogram as well, if not I have Furan-2 and Kanaplex on hand.

Just to be clear:
1. FW dip, 5 minutes
2. RRR bath, 90 minutes?
3. Into QT with Copper Power and Spectrogram/Furan-2/Kanaplex

I have no live rock in my QT. It's 75 gallons and will be housing 14 blue green chromis, 5 tricolor anthias, 4 engineer gobies, 2 clowns, tail spot goby, lawnmower blenny, melanurus wrasse, yellow tang, and golden headed sleeper goby. I have some rock and sand in the tank, but it was placed yesterday and will have no beneficial bacteria. Should I try seeding it or just plan on doing water changes as needed?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only place where I've found Spectrogram http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html#aquatronics

Just to be clear:
1. FW dip, 5 minutes
2. RRR bath, 90 minutes?
3. Into QT with Copper Power and Spectrogram/Furan-2/Kanaplex

Yep. That's the plan. Just watch during either the dip or the bath for fish in distress.
Ramp up the Copper Power over 24-48 hours since you are not seeing symptoms externally. I like to spread out the total dose into AM, lunch, PM until I reach therapeutic levels. This way you can also observe for a fish that is very "sensitive" to copper. It is after all a poison and some fish do not do well.

Do you have a Hanna HL Copper Checker to monitor the copper level?

I usually seed my QT's HOB with ceramic media in a mesh bag, foam pad, and foam for a bubble filter, that have been soaking in my sump for at least 30 days or so. But in an emergency, soaking , in a bowl, the above in BioSpira, Fritz Turbo 900, etc. for a few hours works pretty good and then pour the liquid from the bowl into the QT.

Best of luck with your fish. The important thing to keep in mind is slow, steady processing of the fish is key to success. You've got this covered!

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only place where I've found Spectrogram http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html#aquatronics

Yep. That's the plan. Just watch during either the dip or the bath for fish in distress.
Ramp up the Copper Power over 24-48 hours since you are not seeing symptoms externally. I like to spread out the total dose into AM, lunch, PM until I reach therapeutic levels. This way you can also observe for a fish that is very "sensitive" to copper. It is after all a poison and some fish do not do well.

Do you have a Hanna HL Copper Checker to monitor the copper level?

I usually seed my QT's HOB with ceramic media in a mesh bag, foam pad, and foam for a bubble filter, that have been soaking in my sump for at least 30 days or so. But in an emergency, soaking , in a bowl, the above in BioSpira, Fritz Turbo 900, etc. for a few hours works pretty good and then pour the liquid from the bowl into the QT.

Best of luck with your fish. The important thing to keep in mind is slow, steady processing of the fish is key to success. You've got this covered!
Thank you for your help. I have the Hanna HI702 Copper High Range checker.

I have two sponge filters in the tank, a couple pieces of rock and sand, and I added Dr. Tim's One and Only. I have an ammonia badge on the tank. I can add a HOB with ceramic media as well. Heading to get the meds and then it's time to start trying to trap the fish!

OP
OP
E

Echomsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this isn't going well. One of the anthias died in the RRR bath after maybe 20 minutes. So I took the other out and put it into the QT. The second it hit the water, it just froze up, mouth wide open, fins extended. I could see its gills moving some for a few minutes, but then everything stopped. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

I also had chromis in there and they seem to be doing OK.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back