Powder brown tang with ich.

nicks nano reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip to the bottom for brief explanation.

So I picked up a small (~3inch) powder brown tang from my LFS in late September, and full disclosure, I did not quarantine it as I believed that my ten gallon hospital/quarantine tank would be too small for the little guy. All the other tank mates had been quarantined using the tank transfer method, fresh water dips, and peroxide dosing for 6 weeks before being added to the display. None of the other fish had previously shown signs of ich, until after I added the powder brown. So for the past month I've been dealing with ich in the tank, after a week or two none of the other fish showed any signs of ich but the powder brown continues to be covered in white spots. I don't believe that his current condition is life threatening as he continues to eat, and is actually growing a little plumper despite his infection, however I doubt that this is a stable condition and do not know when he may begin to deteriorate. I have given him a couple of fresh water dips just to provide him with a little bit of relief, and I have been dosing peroxide at a ration of about 1ml 3% H2O2 / 5 gallons of tank water into the aquarium every other day to reduce the number of theronts in the water. I am also thinking of buying a UV sterilizer to further reduce theront numbers. I can also use a spare 20 gallon long as hospital tank but I don't have the resources to run that and the current 10 gallon hospital tank at the same time. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the severity of the infection? I am willing to do pretty much everything other than going fallow or out right re-starting the tank. any help is appreciated

TLDR, My 3 inch powder brown tang has ich, will a 20 gallon long work for a quarantine tank? what should I do to treat my reef other than going fallow?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I picked up a small (~3inch) powder brown tang from my LFS in late September, and full disclosure, I did not quarantine it as I believed that my ten gallon hospital/quarantine tank would be too small for the little guy. All the other tank mates had been quarantined using the tank transfer method, fresh water dips, and peroxide dosing for 6 weeks before being added to the display. None of the other fish had previously shown signs of ich, until after I added the powder brown. So for the past month I've been dealing with ich in the tank, after a week or two none of the other fish showed any signs of ich but the powder brown continues to be covered in white spots. I don't believe that his current condition is life threatening as he continues to eat, and is actually growing a little plumper despite his infection, however I doubt that this is a stable condition and do not know when he may begin to deteriorate. I have given him a couple of fresh water dips just to provide him with a little bit of relief, and I have been dosing peroxide at a ration of about 1ml 3% H2O2 / 5 gallons of tank water into the aquarium every other day to reduce the number of theronts in the water. I am also thinking of buying a UV sterilizer to further reduce theront numbers. I can also use a spare 20 gallon long as hospital tank but I don't have the resources to run that and the current 10 gallon hospital tank at the same time. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the severity of the infection? I am willing to do pretty much everything other than going fallow or out right re-starting the tank. any help is appreciated

TLDR, My 3 inch powder brown tang has ich, will a 20 gallon long work for a quarantine tank? what should I do to treat my reef other than going fallow?
A 20 gallon is fine, just manage the ammonia. I would suggest getting copper started ASAP. Your tang may be close to hitting the geometric increase phase, and then it will get very ill.
I’m experimenting with peroxide, but right now, I can’t recommend it for ich control. I did find a really cool low range peroxide dip test on Amazon for around $16.
Jay

maddiesmom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My powder brown also has/had ich. He is now in my 10 gallon hospital tank undergoing hyposalinity.
He has been in the hospital tank for 20 days and will remain in it for another 10 days. After 4 days all parasites were off of him.
An occasional parasite will surface on him but will drop off within a day or so.
Once in a hospital tank gradually lower the salinity to 2.009 over a 48 hour period. Maintain 2.009 for 30 days. If the salinity varies AT ALL the 30 days starts over.
Hope this helps

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quarantine of the existing fish is moot if you add unquarantined fish to the system, you should assume they are all infected and in need of treatment. IME peroxide dosing that low won't do anything, H2o2 treatments for fish involve concentrated 30m baths at the 20-30ml per gallon dosage, its probably just goes inert at your current dosage when introduced to the tank. Im a strong proponent of UV, but I doubt it would solve the problem...

Best practice would be to restart QT on all your fish and go fallow, or alternatively you can relocate your inverts/corals and do a 30 day hyposalinity treatment on your display tank. Other than that you're likely just putting a bandaid on the problem and it might keep popping up :(

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back