Powder coated steel vs aluminum stands

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trick is to be sure you get the right hardware that can convert the sizes. The tank was 15 gauge but the light fixture was 10 gauge.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an aside - but there is a enormous markup between Extruded Aluminum and Connectors -> Aluminum stand. I had a light rack specced out before I built the current one - and the current one is way overkill, and was like 25% of the price I was quoted.

I don't know if it's just that there's a lot of 8020 used in medical systems and scientific machines, and they're willing to pay - but aluminum is way less expensive than I initially thought it was.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder coated SS rusted quite quickly
Most the steel stands I see are made of 3/16 or 1/4 steel. The entire stand could be covered in rust but I bet it would stay structurally sound for at least 30 years or more.

All grades of stainless steel will react with saltwater to some degree. Some will even rust! CP titanium is the only metal that I know of that will have zero chemical reaction with salt water until around 400f.

I actually witnessed an aluminum boat that completely covered in rust. However, that was after it was blasted with steel shot… whoops

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been partial to steel stands - I like the look of the clean, open setup.

This tank is no longer setup (pulled it down about 6 months ago) , but it was up and running for about 9.5 years.

When we shutdown this tank and inspected the stand, there was only a tiny spot of rust in small spot right where one of the gussets connect. Then a quick wipe down with damp cloth and the stand looked brand new.

FTS125_0233.jpg

This is the stand before it get setup - very simple design

WP_20130408_004.jpg

This is the new tank - also a steel powder coated stand. This spic is form about 7 months ago before it got setup, you can see it in our build thread, but this also has a a minimalistic. Lots of open space

IMG_20210427_123545_027.jpg

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such great information here shared by everyone. It really helps clarify long term expectations for the different materials.

I’m leaning towards the powder coated steel. @Vivid Creative Aquatics great point on the clean open setup.

My main concern is rust leading to certain metals from the stand potentially getting into the water. I’ll be keeping acropora so I want to do what can be done to minimize long term risk of that.

For the lighting, how would a set of powder coated stainless steel racks fare long term above the aquarium?

Thank you everyone for sharing your insight and experiences.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such great information here shared by everyone. It really helps clarify long term expectations for the different materials.

I’m leaning towards the powder coated steel. @Vivid Creative Aquatics great point on the clean open setup.

My main concern is rust leading to certain metals from the stand potentially getting into the water. I’ll be keeping acropora so I want to do what can be done to minimize long term risk of that.

For the lighting, how would a set of powder coated stainless steel racks fare long term above the aquarium?

Thank you everyone for sharing your insight and experiences.
The quality of the powder coating will go a long way towards longevity - don't skimp on that.

The least expensive powder coater is usually less expensive than the others for a reason. Also, expect to wait 7 to 10 days or more. Most good powder coating companies are busy and have a backlog.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! Thank you!

Does anyone know how would a set of powder coated stainless steel racks fare long term above the aquarium? Say 12” above the water line.. Or would that be best for aluminum?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back