Power head for back wall of AIO

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a Tideline 65 gallon AIO currently and looking at the jebao MLW pumps for the sides of the tank but wondering if anyone had placed this pump or similar wave pump on the back wall of an AIO style tank. The exterior magnet is my problem currently. Wondering if I could coat the magnet in silicone and have it be water tight.

E36FA3FE-77C8-4965-856A-2B022D7A98BD.jpeg A5E3BC41-BF1F-4697-BECF-C36A4037EE69.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I'm so tempted to go with a larger aio for more room than I have in my reefer 170 but not sure if I want to give up the sump since I have a fuge in it.

As to the magnet. While silicone would probably work I think a type of water proof epoxy would be better. You could lay the magnet on parchment or wax paper and coat all but one side then flip it once it's dry and finish the other side. Would probably be neater than silicone and easier to apply more than one coat of needed.
I have used this stuff to water proof some magnets for a frag rack once.
20221018_151014.jpg

Last edited:

waterboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a Tideline 65 gallon AIO currently and looking at the jebao MLW pumps for the sides of the tank but wondering if anyone had placed this pump or similar wave pump on the back wall of an AIO style tank. The exterior magnet is my problem currently. Wondering if I could coat the magnet in silicone and have it be water tight.

E36FA3FE-77C8-4965-856A-2B022D7A98BD.jpeg A5E3BC41-BF1F-4697-BECF-C36A4037EE69.jpeg
I’m in the same boat. Have a 15 gallon AIO and a Nero 3. Would like to put the nero on the AIO chamber. Was wondering if putting the external magnet in a plastic ziploc bag would work or if that would be a bad idea. Following along to see responses.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat. Have a 15 gallon AIO and a Nero 3. Would like to put the nero on the AIO chamber. Was wondering if putting the external magnet in a plastic ziploc bag would work or if that would be a bad idea. Following along to see responses.
I thought the same thing with the ziplock but wasn’t sure if it would degrade over time.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I'm so tempted to go with a larger aio for more room than I have in my reefer 170 but not sure if I want to give up the sump since I have a fuge in it.

As to the magnet. While silicone would probably work I think a type of water proof epoxy would be better. You could lay the magnet on parchment or wax paper and coat all but one side then flip it once it's dry and finish the other side. Would probably be neater than silicone and easier to apply more than one coat of needed.
I have used this stuff to water proof some magnets for a frag rack once.
20221018_151014.jpg
I also looked into the reefers but at the price point for the size the Tideline is I couldn’t beat it. Had great success with an IM lagoon prior to this. And the back chambers on the Tideline are huge!

Didn’t even think about epoxy. That would be way easier I think. The tank itself has built in spinning return nozzles but they are near the outside edges. Thought the pumps on the back wall would help out with other flow due to the 4 foot nature of the tank and wanting to keep the side pumps as low profile as possible.

waterboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same thing with the ziplock but wasn’t sure if it would degrade over time.
I was wondering the same thing. Was hoping someone who has tried it might be able to chime in. I’m thinking changing out the bag every 3-6 months when you clean the powerhead might work but that’s a complete guess.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao "outside" magnets are supposed to be coated the same as the "inside" magnets. Lots of people run them on the back walls of AiO tanks (me included).
Thanks! Was starting to wonder about the epoxy route, if I decide to go that way, if the epoxy would break down in a salt environment over time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back