Power head rotors exposed to saltwater

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure this is a chemistry question but do you know what power head rotors are made of and do they leach metals into reef aquariums? They are magnetic and everyone seems to be concerned about magnets in the reef aquarium. Thanks for your time to answer this question.

OP
OP
Tombones

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sometimes high tin, sometimes high iron. Both of these metals in the last two ICP test. I have checked everything in the tank for possible pollution as well as my RODI unit. It had just occurred to me rotors are magnets and many reefers have had problems with seals on magnets breaking and corroding, adding metals to their aquariums. I have used the Triton method for over two years now and I keep having to do water changes anyway because of the accumulation of metals. I guess water changes are necessary for my tank. Bad water out and clean water in.
Thanks for your reply.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sometimes high tin, sometimes high iron. Both of these metals in the last two ICP test. I have checked everything in the tank for possible pollution as well as my RODI unit. It had just occurred to me rotors are magnets and many reefers have had problems with seals on magnets breaking and corroding, adding metals to their aquariums. I have used the Triton method for over two years now and I keep having to do water changes anyway because of the accumulation of metals. I guess water changes are necessary for my tank. Bad water out and clean water in.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not aware of tin being used in magnets, and elevated tin is very common. How high? if less than 10 ppb, I'd ignore it.

Elevated iron is less common if you are not dosing it, since it readily precipitates and is used by organisms. It generally isn't toxic.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back