Power outage here in CA. Police ask me to turn off my generator!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thinking Was this about the noise or linemen working in the area, Or a Fire hazard caused by you running a generator?

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not panic.
Do you need a skimmer? Maybe its has a DC pump?
Just run DC pumps off batteries by connecting their power input directly to a battery. Much better efficiency than running of ac/dc inverter.
40W 24V pump runs ~0.5A (40W/24V), So on a 10Ah 24V battery it will run for 20h (10Ah/0.5A), 40h if you will hook it up to a mp40 emergency battery connector - as it draws half voltage. And from a 60ah car battery? it will run for half a week. Seriously buy a couple of big UPS batteries - biggest you can find/afford, some dc jacks for your dc pump controllers, cable and connectors for batteries. An hour of cursing if you are a complete noob with electrics and you have more than enough backup to last through the night. Do not mix + and -, dc jack plus is usually the inner dc pin - pump power supplies and pump controllers (or any dc equipment for that matter) have pins schematics like:
5113f704ce395ffc7d000000.png

+ terminal on dc jack connect to + on battery and same with - terminals. You are done.
Do not forget to charge back batteries during the day.
and during the night all you really need is flow.

2x 12V batteries connected in series produce 1 24V battery (aH unfortunately do not add up - resulting ah is the average of the 2 - best practice use identical batteries)
Want more Amphours? 2 batteries connected in parallel doubles the capacity (voltage stays the same).
(4 small batteries in 2x series x2 parallel bank produce 1 double the capacity double voltage battery).
power (w) = Current (apms, A) x Voltage (V).
Run time in hours h = Ah / A if V(producer) = V(consumer)
Now best not to drain battery completely I would leave at least 50% safety margin. And get sufficiently powerful charger (or better 1 for each battery bank).
Now this is not pretty setup but this is an emergency. And after an emergency you will be able to convert this mess to a permanent pump power backup with some extra electronics (relays and battery tenders).

OP
OP
Leicobra

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all the help. Out of my surprised my neighbor showed up on my front door about 12pm. Admitted and apologized about last night's complaint. He went on and said that the cause of the fire was the houses down the street from where we live got burn down. Including one of PG&E's transformer tower. Looks like it's gonna be for a while. Praying for a miracle.

jcricket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read the entire thread(a lot of it though) so I don't know if this was mentioned. I am looking at getting a tank of compressed air from a local welding shop. It would suffice for oxygenating the water for at least several hours, maybe even a day. Yeah, the filtration wouldn't run, but for the one day it might be good enough to prevent a crash. Just a thought.

If a person could find a way to couple that with water movement in the tank it would probably last at least several days. hmm...............

Buggers and rasberries to that officer too!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Milpitas CA
I am in alameda and have a brand new in box one of these if you think it would be helpful -

It may still be too loud for you but if you want to borrow it let me know and we can figure out how to get it to you.

Here is a vid of its loudness compared to the honda.

It looks like your power was off do to the structure fires and not due to the pge shutdowns. I bet they have it on for you soon.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear both these generators in action. I’ll need to grab one soon even though we’ve been safe the last 2 times

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, that's rough! Praying things work out quickly!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he "laughed" because of what you were running it for (fish tank) over say something that is "necessary"; just trying to see it from his perspective that's all.

OP
OP
Leicobra

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in alameda and have a brand new in box one of these if you think it would be helpful -

It may still be too loud for you but if you want to borrow it let me know and we can figure out how to get it to you.

Here is a vid of its loudness compared to the honda.

It looks like your power was off do to the structure fires and not due to the pge shutdowns. I bet they have it on for you soon.

Thank you so much. Luckily my water heater is powered by gas. During the night I am flooding hot water bottles in the tank to battle temperature lost. Thanks for the offer though,my neighbors now seem to understand me a little more. Besides the tank I also need to power a refrigerator in my kitchen. I left notes at all my neighbor s front door letting them know about the generator on and off time. More then anything I was hope someone can house the coral and fish, because I am not sure how long it's gonna last. Until then I will keep on trying to save them.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turn it on take the ticket probly cheaper then restarting a tank. That's what I would do

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just wanted to share what just happen to me now. Due to the CA wild fire PG&E turned off our power as 3:30pm today. My back up generator is on rightaway until I got a police visit at around 8pm. Asked me to turn my power generator off. Reason was it's too loud which I understood. However, when he laughed at me when he found out that I was using it to keep a fish tank running. I was upset. With not choice, I now will have to watch my tank slowly crush...…....

Did you ask what would happen if you didnt?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! Awesome! Power outages are so stressful!

Honestly, I have like four different emergency power strategies depending on the outage duration. If I were you, I'd be formulating a couple right now!;)

The best strategy is the one you never have to use!!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
do u have a commerical or a job site generator or the residential inverter quiet honda types?... again in this situation id say your fine... but after this blows over. if you dont, might look at saving for next fire season and get the honday eu3000is or eu7000is like im getting.

what a joke. this bothers me

Great choice.

It is simply amazing how much quieter these are. I have the eu3000is, I'd recommend the 7000 if you own a house.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes, he said I will be receiving a citation.

Probably cheaper then what you can possibly lose. Plus, once the whole thing is over you can fight it and most any judge will probably throw it out.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! Power just came back on about a minute ago. I truly appreciate all of you for all the comments and love!!!
I am ready for a beer

1572307290990..jpg
WOOT! Now sell that noise generator! :D Glad the power is back on.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back