Power outage here in CA. Police ask me to turn off my generator!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I kinda have been through this, and the police can ask but can’t really enforce it since it’s on your property. They could possibly cite you for noise ordinance or disturbing the police but doubt it would stick.
when they told me I just said okay. But I said I will turn it on and off through out to keep my house warm and tank running. They kinda threatened to cite me, and I said okay, if so can I have it now to save us time later on. He was kinda shocked and just said please be courteous to your neighbors. Which I am but again I don’t want to lose my whole tank because of a power outage.
Not to mention the gov isn’t happy with that power company atm. Now if people know me, in this post I sound like a rebel or misfit, I’m actually super shy and always polite. I can assure you it helps when speaking to them. I was just honest and too me, I strongly believe the citation would be dropped. I’d run the generator non stop till 10 pm. Then I’d turn it on again at 11pm for 30 min then off and do 1 hour incriminates off and 30
Min on. If you have a power inverter that holds a charge I’d use that and when it drains use the generator to charge it. I’d run like your return pumps and heators and depending on size of your tank wave makers.
Lights can stay off, etc but I wouldn’t go too long. Maybe 10-12 hours lights off like normal. Good luck and sorry this happened

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You NEVER have to answer the door when police knock. People think that is the case.. but it most certainly isn't. A judge is NOT going to enforce a noise citation for a generator during a power outage. Never ever never. Tell them your mother is on a respirator. Tell them that your fish are service animals. Or, just ignore them.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe go to your neighbor with an explanation, an apology, and some ear plugs, and use your generator as you need because you have no choice.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys please remember that healthy debate is acceptable. Resorting to personal attacks and name calling is not acceptable. We encourage a respectful healthy debate!
Thanks
Team R2R

PartyAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably just say that I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and require power for the use of a CPAP machine during the night for this potentially life threatening condition.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My standby is in the backyard that is adjacent to woods. So unless the deer complain about the noise .....

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your tank is fine, you made a new friend (neighbor), and you don't have to spend the day in court. If only this world could learn from you my friend. It would most definately be a better place for us all. Thanks for sharing

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good you worked it out with your neighbor but they should have at least talked to you first before calling the police. You said you left notes for everyone around so now is time to make friends. Like said in another post, offer up some phone charging or fridge time in exchange for a little noise. I am sure they will take you up on the offer.

OP
OP
Leicobra

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few days after the power outage. Been reading a lot online about tank recovery. I was lucky that corals seemed okay. None noticeable color change or stress. However, I notice a mini cycle. So I dosed some Dr Tim' bacteria. Put a airpump outlet on the bottom of the bio media. Ajusted light and feeding schedule. So far so good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reading about this disaster is easy to read but picturing ourselves in such dismay is Hard to picture. Hope all turns out in your favor !!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Throw some carbon in your sump right away to purify your tank water

OP
OP
Leicobra

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good you worked it out with your neighbor but they should have at least talked to you first before calling the police. You said you left notes for everyone around so now is time to make friends. Like said in another post, offer up some phone charging or fridge time in exchange for a little noise. I am sure they will take you up on the offer.
I don't blame anybody. Trying to put myself in his shoes. Everyone out here last power and I think before he called the cops, he was already in a bad mood. Not only him, but myself included. That's because of we all know how difficult it will be to survive a power outage. I also look at as a chance to get to know my neighbor .

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad things worked out. There will no doubt be more power outages so allow me to put your mind at ease about some things: Colder water retains more oxygen and slows metabolism in aquatic creatures. I wouldn’t really panic until temperatures drop below 65 and stay there for more than a week. Cooler than normal is much more forgiving than warmer than normal.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have left it on and told him it was for my fridge to keep my insulin cold. If the generator is too loud go inside is what I would tell him.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back