power outage in a sps dominated tank

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power just went out in my city and i have a fully stocked sps dominated tank with a couple of fish i already added a poratable airpump that i have handy which i keep fully charged but my main concern isnt my fish its my sps how long can they go without power also would it be okay for the like ( no light , temperature swing, no flow etc)
i would tremendously appreciate whoever replys

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature lowering would be my biggest concern. Corals go a couple days without light due to storms in the ocean. Also know sometimes people do blackouts if algae gets out of wack. I hope your power gets back on soon though, plus any damage done usually with healthy corals can be recovered, unless catastrophic.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very long friend.
check to see if your car has a power inverter and run an extension cord to power wave makers. Also Home Depot or lowes will have a car adapter power inverter if you don’t have one.

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rent/borrow a generator if there is no indication when power would be restored. Just be careful though, some equipment doesn't like dirty power so it will help to have an online/pure sinewave UPS between the gennie and the tank

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have hot water? Or a gas stove. If you do, you can float a glass or plastic bottle of hot water in the tank.

My power has gone out for days at a time and so far,I never had problems with SPS or anything else. I would keep removing water and pouring it back for circulation.

But if it isn't for more than a few days, it should be fine

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have hot water? Or a gas stove. If you do, you can float a glass or plastic bottle of hot water in the tank.

My power has gone out for days at a time and so far,I never had problems with SPS or anything else. I would keep removing water and pouring it back for circulation.

But if it isn't for more than a few days, it should be fine
^ This right here. Living in Alaska with -20s to -40s power outages are common. Had a 2 days with no power in the middle of winter and this is how I kept everything alive. Boiled water on a propane stove and float the bottles of warm/ hot water, and stir the water to keep it oxygenated.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ This right here. Living in Alaska with -20s to -40s power outages are common. Had a 2 days with no power in the middle of winter and this is how I kept everything alive. Boiled water on a propane stove and float the bottles of warm/ hot water, and stir the water to keep it oxygenated.
Yikes.. time to get a small generator.. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back