Power outage lasting more than a day

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin O has lost power. Doesn't expect it to be on for a couple of days.
1st tank is a fowlr 29 gallon
Stock list carpenter wrasse and green clown goby aka haulk
Second 10g 2 clowns 1 neon goby and one zoa.

Suggestions.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any type of generator available? If she hurries might be able to pick up a small gas powered one from the local hardware. A battery backup from best buy running an air stone will conserve a lot of power. Manually taking a large cup filled with water and dumping it over the tank will also provide oxygen.

I am so sorry to hear this

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this,

Been there. The size of the tanks will help, and if she has plenty of salt and rodi on hand.

This would be my list of options not knowing her set up.
1. I would try to put all fish in 1 tank if possible, use a net or other item to divide the tank if aggression is an issue. Going to be a lot easier to handle 1 tank than 2. Plus more water volume.

2. obviously generator If one is available.

3. Short term stirring the tank works. I kept a 75 going for days by doing that and bumming power. Air lasts longer than people think. She can also pull water out and shake it like a martini and pour it back in

4. i would make a few 2.5 gallon buckets of salt if she has it available. When she mixes the water she needs to shake it like a martini or stir like a cake. Supersaturated it with air and do a small water change throughout the day.

5. Someone mentioned battery powered air pumps, but obviously if she cannot buy local it will probably not arrive in time if purchased online unless offered overnight shipping,

6. if there is an auto parts store near her, go and get a car inverter to get some power and a long extension cord. She can run her car for 10 minutes and plug the pump into the inverter in the car to get the pumps going.

Thats is about it,all out of ideas.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a gas stove you can do this if you need to heat the tank. Then place the hot water in a bottle and place in the tank

3B5FF3A9-6402-4DDA-B332-7904A1A7847D.jpeg

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If LFS isn't available/open, auto parts stores open late and sell 12v tire inflator pumps cheap. Or she may have one in her car. Could use one as air source through a large airstone. Black electrical tape will join the hose to aquatic air line well enough for now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Walmart sporting goods- battery operated air pump that comes with air stone- under $12

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have texted all these to her
Oh she is alone, I did not realize that.
Manual mode is going to be hard, your looking at maybe 8 hour periods while she is sleeping and no oxygenation is happening. We need to brain storm a fix. What does she have at her disposal and what kind of stores are nearby? A sporting goods store would be ideal since it would have battery operated pumps. The D cell ones will run for about 3 days on two batteries. Also how is she checking the temperature and what is it reading? On diving trips when I had not carried anything to keep the fish alive at the hotel I would half fill a plastic quart bottle with the SW and shake it up real hard and that would super saturate the water with O2 which I would then dump in the fish bucket and repeat doing that a few times before going to bed. Its seems doable with a small tank like that.

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. I really hope it will be sometime today

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I'll try to get a couple of air pumps today. As of right now, the temp in the tanks isn't much of a concern. it's warm enough in the house that they're staying in the mid 70's

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin O has lost power. Doesn't expect it to be on for a couple of days.
1st tank is a fowlr 29 gallon
Stock list carpenter wrasse and green clown goby aka haulk
Second 10g 2 clowns 1 neon goby and one zoa.

Suggestions.
I’ve rigged up a way to gently release air from my scuba cylinder into a tank. Years ago, I saw pictures of Russian aquarists who pumped up basketballs and then used them to supply air(grin). Looks like you got a lot more practical ideas to work with though!

Jay

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve rigged up a way to gently release air from my scuba cylinder into a tank. Years ago, I saw pictures of Russian aquarists who pumped up basketballs and then used them to supply air(grin). Looks like you got a lot more practical ideas to work with though!

Jay
Very creative solutions

chpke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small suitcase sized 2 kW inverter ($400 Harbor Freight - $1000 Honda). It can run a very long time on a gallon of gas. It is portable and you can also use it for other stuff like camping, etc.. Just be sure to keep it outside in a well ventilated area. With a couple extension cords, you could power both tanks depending on the amount of equipment you are using.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back